Geyer quits basketball team

Senior forward Tom Geyer has left the IU men's basketball team. After making the decision Thursday night, he informed interim head coach Mike Davis of his decision Friday morning.\n"Tom made a decision that he felt was the right decision for him, and I respect that," Davis said in a press release. "He is the type of player that did not always show up in the box score but was a big contributor to this program with his leadership and work ethic. Not many people work as hard as Tom does."\nGeyer played in 19 games and finished with 21 points during his IU career. He joined the team as a walk-on after graduating from Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis. Geyer said the only reason he came to IU was to play for former basketball coach Bob Knight. \n"The administration made a change when they got rid of coach Knight, and I guess now I feel that I need to make a change in my life and move in another direction," Geyer told the Indianapolis Star. "It's a tough decision, because I really care for my teammates, and I really wish them all the best.\n"I had to do what is best for me, and that's why I made the decision that I did."\nGeyer will graduate from IU in May of 2001 with a degree in accounting and finance.