Freshman standout has home course advantage in golf

Mike Castleforte is coming home.\nFor most competitors, the start of the Xavier Invitational Monday represents a chance to play on a distinguished course. The Golf Center at Kings Island, also known as "the Grizzly," has developed a history of great golf. Located just outside of Cincinnati, it was the first course design by PGA great Jack Nicklaus, and has been host to professional tournaments for 24 years. \nThe tournament holds special significance for Castleforte. The standout freshman hails from Springboro, Ohio, a short drive from the Grizzly.\n"I'm excited to go near home for once," Castleforte said. "All my family and friends will be there. It's a good course and a good tournament."\nDespite having played the Grizzly "at least 12 times," the humble freshman refuses to give himself any kind of leverage over the other golfers.\n"Everyone's such a good player at this level that, once they've seen it, there's no way anyone can have an advantage.\n"Hopefully, the weather will cooperate. If it's cold, I'll be in trouble."\nIf cold weather is his only obstacle, it would take a nuclear winter to offset what Castleforte has accomplished so far this year. This summer, he won the American Junior Golf Association Golfweek Chicago Tournament with a score of 6-under par. Golf fans might have seen him on ESPN at the U.S. Amateur Championship. Castleforte tied for 39th in that tournament, a ranking he expects to surpass next year.\n"I was supposed to be (in Indiana) during the week, so my concentration was on moving in," Castleforte said. "It was a nerve-racking week. Hopefully, next year I won't be as nervous."\nHe started slowly as this season began, finishing third and fourth on the team in the first two tournaments of the year. But he quickly established himself with a strong showing last weekend at the Northern Intercollegiate. \n"You talk about somebody whose presence has had an impact on this team," said coach Mike Mayer. "He's a gutsy little player, with strong willpower. For a freshman, I think he really inspires his teammates."\nCastleforte dominated early and finished the first round in a three-way tie for first place with a score of 2-under par, leading the team to fourth overall in the tournament. But the rookie had trouble finishing as effectively. He shot for a bogey on the 14th hole, then got into trouble with a triple bogey on the 16th.\n"That cost us big," Castleforte said. "It was just a hard hole. It was into the wind and I just made a couple of mental errors. I tried to hit a couple shots I shouldn't have under the circumstances. Next thing I know, I'd made a triple and I'm walking to the next tee."\nMayer, who played a big role in recruiting Castleforte, said he believes it's only a matter of time before those mental errors disappear and he reaches his unlimited potential.\n"He had a bad couple of holes, but besides that he was right in the hunt," Mayer said. "He doesn't let things get away from him. As he gets more mature and gets a little more experience, he'll eliminate those kinds of mistakes."\nOne thing Castleforte will have to do to improve is bulk up. Mayer intends to put the slender freshman on a weight training program this winter, although this is nothing the prize newcomer hasn't heard before.\n"Everyone I've ever talked to has tried to put me on a weight training program," Castleforte said. "It never seems to work. I've seen trainers, they've had me on creatine, special diets. It just doesn't work. Maybe it will this time … I hope."\nOne thing Castleforte won't need to work on is his confidence, which has been well received by both his coaches and teammates.\n"Mike had a great summer, and came in with a lot of confidence," said freshman teammate Kirk Wood. "He's been able to keep that confidence up all season. He played really well last week."\nDespite his modest predictions, Castleforte will have a little extra confidence on his home turf next Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the team might have added confidence as well. Last year, IU played well at the Grizzly, finishing ninth out of 19 teams. \n"It's a nice competitive field that we're familiar with and have played well on before," said Mayer. "We feel we have a legitimate chance to win"