Dance Marathon needs participants

An incredible fall tradition, the IU Dance Marathon, is quickly approaching. Dance Marathon is a 36-hour event that raises money for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. More than 700 students will stay awake for an entire weekend to dance, play games, listen to terrific bands, eat food and play with the children from Riley, all to benefit the Hospital. Since its inception in 1991, Dance Marathon has raised over $1 million for Riley, specifically the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center, which has been funded solely through the donations of the Dance Marathon. This year is our 10-year anniversary and I anticipate many Dance Marathon alumni, Riley families and administrators, IU faculty and officials and local and national media to take a special interest in our event and come to support one of the most rewarding experiences on campus. \nI encourage each of you to register to dance. The weekend is filled with amazing activities, as well as the chance to meet some of the most inspiring people in the world -- the Riley kids. By committing yourself to dancing for a weekend, you are inspiring and motivating children who dream about walking and providing hope for kids who might have none; you are giving selflessly of yourself so a child receives the necessary funding for an operation. You are also surrounding yourself with the most generous and considerate people on this campus. Each person involved is there for the children; all other campus issues are forgotten for a weekend as students everywhere come together to support the event.\nThe IU Dance Marathon will take place from 8 p.m., Nov. 3 until 8 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 5 in the Health Physical, Education and Recreation gymnasium. For more information, please contact the Dance Marathon office at 855-6DMC or by e-mail at iudmc@indiana.edu. Thank you for your time and support. It is only through the generosity of people such as yourselves that Dance Marathon is able to live its motto of "A Chance of A Lifetime, To Give A Lifetime of Chance."\nAlyssa Johnson\nSenior\nPresident, IU Dance Marathon Council