Around the game

Crew team takes 1st at Chicago Chase\nThe rowing team was awarded a Vespoli boat worth almost $5,000 for earning the most points at the Chicago Chase this weekend in Chicago.\nBoth the varsity eight and novice eight boats won their races.\n"The girls did great," coach Mark Wilson said. "This was our first race of the season, and we are in a good position as we prepare for the LemonHead this upcoming weekend."\nThe team was also one of the tops teams at the Head of the Rock in Rockford, Ill. In the competition, the varsity four and novice four boats each won their races, and the novice eight placed second in a field of 28 boats.\n"This was a great race for the varsity four," Wilson said. "We had some girls who had not raced together before race together this weekend, and they did a great job."\nIn Rockford, IU's novice four boat took fourth place, the varsity four boat finished sixth and the varsity eight boat placed eighth.\nSenior advances to next round in tennis tournament\nThe Hoosiers compete at the LemonHead, one of the Midwest's premier regattas, at 7:30 a.m. Saturday at Lake Lemon.\nPaul Jacobson defeated Adnan Hadzialic of the University of Nebraska 6-3, 7-6 on the third day of the men's tennis All-American Championships Monday in Stone Mountain, Ga. \nJacobson, a senior, advanced to the qualifying round that begins today, because his round-of-16 match was canceled after participants withdrew from the tournament. \nJacobson will face No. 11 seed Jason Ontog of the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga at 10 a.m. today.\n"Paul has played with less than his 'A' game and won," coach Ken Hydinger said. "He has shown a lot of maturity so far. Tomorrow he will compete against the No. 11 seed in the tournament. This could really be a breakthrough tournament for him."\nThe invitational is the nation's largest collegiate tennis tournament with 256 players.