Wrestling coach achieves Olympic dream in Sydney

One doesn't need to see Charles Burton to realize he could break all the bones in your body in about 23 seconds. Not once glance. \nHis brash, confident and somewhat cocky voice suffice as reason enough to agree that the IU assistant wrestling coach could twist nearly anyone on the planet into a human pretzel. \nHe'll get his chance to bust up competition from around the world in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.\nHe's left Bloomington feeling confident. \n"If you're going down there for a frickin' vacation, that's ridiculous," said Burton, who returned to the IU campus after spending 22 days in Colorado Springs, Colo., at the Olympic Training Center. "What's the point of going down if you don't think you'll win the gold medal?"\nBurton's resume lends itself to winning the gold. The 187-pounder wrestled at Boise State University for four seasons, concluding his senior year with a third-place finish at the 1997 NCAA Championships. He spent one year as an assistant coach at national wrestling powerhouse University of Iowa before making the move to Bloomington three years ago. Between the two collegiate stops, he spent a year training at Colorado Springs. \nFrom there, the Meridian, Idaho, native collected a laundry list of national championships and titles. He wrapped up his Olympic berth after defeating Les Gutches in a best-of-three wrestle-off July 27 in Fargo, N.D. Gutches had previously beaten Burton at the 1999 Freestyle National Championships and 2000 U.S. Nationals.\n"It's nice," Burton said of finally topping Gutches. "I knew I had to keep working, but I knew it would come along. I should've beaten him the times I lost."\nBurton is one of eight freestylers who will represent the United States in Sydney. The chance to slip into the stars and stripes is something Burton said he expected sooner or later. Wrestlers, Burton said, don't often reach their peak until after college. Burton continued a rigorous workout routine throughout his stay at Colorado Springs and Iowa and has done the same at IU. \n"We're very proud of him," head coach Duane Goldman said. "Even for those that work hard, things don't always fall their way. It's rewarding to see someone who works so hard do so well."\nGoldman accompanies Burton to Australia as Burton's training partner. Each Olympian is permitted to bring one partner to help prep them for their matches. Goldman and several IU wrestlers helped Burton train year-round in hopes of earning a spot at this year's games. Burton said he plans on making an Olympic return in 2004.\n"That's what hard work will do," junior wrestler Viktor Sveda said. "He deserves the spot."\nBurton isn't the only medal-seeker with cream and crimson ties. Diving coach Jeff Huber and several IU divers also snatched Sydney spots.\nThe recognition Burton will bring to IU is an added bonus, said Goldman and senior associate athletic director Harold Mauro. Goldman said he has already felt a slight ripple effect, which is expected to help with recruiting.\n"It's an extreme honor," Mauro said. "He's set lofty goals and achieved his dreams. We wish him well."\nThe chance to represent his country and IU is appealing to Burton, who said he's been dreaming of this opportunity since his childhood. "Blood, sweat and tears," Burton said, have led him to Sydney. \n"It doesn't get any better than this," he said. "It's the Super Bowl of wrestling. It's awesome"