Volleyball hopes to continue undefeated run

Final pre-conference matches pivotal for young squad

The volleyball team has been undefeated in each tournament thus far, and hopes the trend continues as they host the Blimpie/Hoosier Invitational this weekend.\nThe Hoosiers end their nonconference play this weekend, which starts with a match against Loyola-Marymount at 7 p.m. at the University Gym. The matches continue on Saturday against Marquette and Duke at noon and 7 p.m. respectively.\nIU has gone into Big Ten play undefeated three times in the past four years, and if the Hoosiers can make it past the weekend, then they will open conference play against Northwestern on a roll.\nBut, the Hoosiers will have to make it past No. 20 Loyola-Marymount. Like IU, the Lions are undefeated, and they also have won two tournaments. The similarities between the teams don't end there. The Hoosiers played Indiana State Wednesday, and won 3-2. Loyola-Marymount faced the Sycamores this past weekend and won 3-0.\n"It's a very big game because it is a ranked team," sophomore outside hitter Hillary Toivonen said. "It's also a west coast team, and there is kind of a rivalry between the West Coast teams and the Midwest, because we are in the Big Ten."\nLoyola-Marymount's big player is senior outside hitter Sarah McFarland. Measuring in at 6-foot-6, she will be the major force behind the Lions. In both of the Loyola-Marymount's tournaments, she has won MVP honors. Last year she led the NCAA with 750 kills.\nSaturday, the first match the Hoosiers play will be against Marquette. The Golden Eagles have not had as smooth as path as the Hoosiers, winning only one game out of seven. IU's second match of the day will be against Duke. \nThe Blue Devils haven't had the undefeated nonconference play like IU, but they come into the tournament at 6-2. Duke leads the Atlantic Coast Conference in two categories after eight games: service aces, which they have 63 on the season, and hitting percentage at .286.\nIU continues to improve on its weak spots and is using this weekend as another way to prepare for Big Ten play. According to coach Katie Weismiller, these matches will be a big test for the team, but that the Hoosiers are a long way away from where they want to be.\n"We need to communicate on the court," senior middle blocker Laura Dewitz said. "Be able to talk to each other and flow with each other on the court."\nToivonen said another area the Hoosiers have to work on is their blocking game. Indiana State totalled 82 kills against the IU.\nOne bonus for the team is home court advantage. After opening the season at Assembly Hall because of heat problems in the University Gym, the team will be able to play for the first time at what they consider home.\n"It's nice to be playing back in the University Gymnasium," Weismiller said. "It's a great facility for us, and a huge home-court advantage. We could use a ton of fans out here. If we could get a ton of fans to pack this place, hopefully we could keep our unbeaten streak alive"