Team focused on Big Ten match-ups

Whether the women's soccer team wanted it or not, they received an added challenge this week.\nAs if starting the Big Ten schedule wasn't enough and playing one of the top teams in the conference wouldn't suffice, a certain Sunday press conference added another aspect to this week's practices ' focus.\nThe dismissal of former basketball coach Bob Knight certainly has been a distraction to everyone on the IU campus this week, with TV crews scouring the walkways and microphones probing student's faces. It's monopolized local news coverage and the coffee talk of Bloomington residents.\nAnd while the IU administration and the men's basketball team has the world focused on them, the women's soccer team has been trying to focus on their biggest challenge so far this season ' the beginning of the Big Ten schedule.\n"They're focused," coach Joe Kelley said. "We talked about the whole situation and it's very unfortunate, but like Coach Knight said (Wednesday), we've got to move on. And I think we have. It's been a great week of practice and the team is definitely focused and ready."\nThe Hoosiers look to set aside the distractions this weekend as they host Northwestern and Michigan in a pair of Big Ten match-ups. IU hosts the Wildcats at 7 p.m. tonight at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Wolverines come to town 1:30 p.m. Sunday.\nIU is the hottest team in the Big Ten, entering this weekend's action at a perfect 5-0. They are the only team with a perfect record in the conference. The Hoosiers have gained some national attention as they are ranked No. 22 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll for the first time since 1998. \nAdd to that, the Wildcats and Wolverines are a combined 2-6-1 and the matches look lopsided, but Kelley knows records won\'t dictate how the games are played.\n"I'm really looking forward to the Big Ten schedule," senior back Kendal Willis said. "It's going to be a challenge, but I know we\'re ready for those teams."\nSunday, the Hoosiers battle Michigan, whom they have only beaten once in six matches. They won a 3-1 decision in the two teams' first meeting in 1994. Since then, IU has been outscored 8-0 in five consecutive losses.\nMichigan finished second in the conference last year with only one loss to Penn State. The Wolverines then went on to win the 1999 Big Ten tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.\n"They've had good teams and caught us at the right times," Kelley said. "They usually come here after Purdue. They're fresh and we're tired from playing a tough game before while they handle Purdue.\n"Thank you to Purdue for once in my life. Purdue's competitive this year and going to give Michigan all they can handle and make things a bit easier on us."\nThe Wolverines boast two of the conference's best forwards in senior Kacy Beitel and sophomore Abby Crumpton. Both Beitel and Crumpton were first-team Big Ten selections last season.\nAfter three losses to open the season, Michigan got hot in their last contest, scoring seven times in a rout of nationally ranked Missouri. Crumpton had five points in the win on two goals and an assist for the Wolverines.\n"Our team defense has not been sharp, and tough defense generates more offense," Michigan coach Debbie Belkin Rademacher said about her team's early season scoring problem. "We are a youthful team making youthful mistakes right now." \nBut before the Hoosiers face Michigan, they'll have to get by Northwestern Friday night. \nThe Wildcats enter the weekend 1-3-1, coming off a 0-0 tie at Detroit Mercy. Minus their 6-2 win over Detroit Mercy, the Wildcats have had problems scoring, posting only two goals in four games.\nBut Northwestern does return its two leading scorers from last year\'s team in senior Brooke Bell and junior Katie Hertz.\n"We are back in a familiar position," Northwestern coach Marcia McDermott said. "We are the underdog. Nobody expects much of us."\nFor Kelley, he's making sure his team doesn\'t look past the Wildcats.\n"Northwestern is a very capable team," Kelley said. "The fact that they're not winning is a mystery.\n"Michigan doesn't even exist yet for us."\nBut they will Sunday.