Tantrums outweigh good record

I am writing to voice my full, undivided support of President Brand's decision to remove Mr. Knight from his position as head men's basketball coach.\nAs an alumnus of Indiana University, and an employee, I believe that the decision of President Brand and the board of trustees was in the best interests of the University. Contrary to what many believe, the purpose of the University is not to win basketball games. Indiana University is a premiere institution for teaching and research, and Knight's antics were an embarrassment. I don't know how many times people in other parts of the country, when they heard I attended IU, mentioned, "Oh, that's where that thug Bobby Knight runs the place." Never any mention of the University's top programs in music, business and fine arts, or the quality of the library, or any of the many other fine qualities of the University. Knight was an embarrassment to the University, and it is past time that he was removed.\nPlease join me in supporting the difficult decision they have made, as well as the fine work that President Brand and the trustees have done in making Indiana University one of the finest educational and research institutions in the world. Let's move forward and try to repair the damage that Knight did to the University's reputation. Basketball is only a game, after all. Let us remember the real purpose of the University.