Students move out of lounges

Broken housing contracts open up rooms for residents

As the third week of the school year approaches, students who previously did not have room assignments are finally being placed in rooms. While learning to adjust to school in the first few weeks is often hard and stressful for freshmen, moving into another dorm after getting settled can add pressure.\nPatrick Conner, executive director of Residential Programs and Services said IU is committed to providing space for anyone who requests to live on campus. But he said once the school year began, he knew there would be many students that wouldn't use their housing contracts. \n"Anywhere from eighty to one hundred people who hold a housing contract don't end up living in the dorms," Conner said. "We put people in overfull housing knowing that we would have space for them because of people who were no shows and broke their contracts. We are confident in fitting all students in dorms by the first two to three weeks of school."\n Conner said overbooking students in dorms is due to a higher rate of transfer students, international students and a larger freshman class than IU initially planned for, although he added this is not the first year it has happened.\nSenior Jason Dudich, president of the Residence Hall Association, said when he was a sophomore students were placed in lounges for a short time due to lack of rooms.\n"The number of freshmen that entered the residence halls was above what our capacity was," Dudich said. "The number fluctuates year after year so RPS tries to predict the correct number of rooms to open. This time we had a greater number of freshmen wanting to live in the halls than they predicted."\nDudich said students who have roommates who move out are automatically reassigned a new one.\nSophomore Julie Schlach said she had a roommate who moved after the first three weeks of school.\n"My roomate came home and told me she was transferring to another school. It is hard enough adjusting to a new school but now I have to worry about getting a new roomate," she said of her experience.\nLike Schlach, many students are eagerly anticipating their new roommate and are nervous to find out who they are going to be living with for the next year.\n"So many demands were suddenly occurring," Conner said. "We did our best to solve everyone's problem… Whatever problems there were in the past with dorms, they all seemed to have been solved right now. Hopefully students are able to sit back and relax at this point of the school year, and not worry about where they are living or who their new roommate will be"