RPS offers meal plans to off-campus students

For many students living off campus, the residence halls meal plan is no longer a nuisance. But for others, signing a meal plan provides them convenience and money management.\nThat's why Residential Programs and Services offers meal plans to anyone on or off campus who is interested, and about 100 of those living off campus are taking advantage.\n"I'm on campus a lot, and it's a lot easier," senior Alyssa Marcus said. "I'm a vegetarian, and there's a lot of options." \nConvenience and the salad bar are what sold her on the plan, she said.\n"(It's) a chance to serve everyone," said Patrick Connor, RPS executive director. \nIt enables students, especially commuters, to grab lunch on campus, he said. \n"If you have classes that are really close, it's easy to go a half a block to eat," said Graham Shepfer, RPS special events coordinator. "It's location and convenience."\nStudents living off campus are offered the same meal plans as students living on campus, but are offered additional plans, with a premium.\n"Generally the plans are more points than what they want," Shepfer said. He cautioned students interested in purchasing a meal plan because of the large number of points.\nThere are other options besides RPS for students living off campus, to eat on campus.\nBesides cash, there's Campus Access. Students can put any amount on their Access account and use it at any food court or dining hall, and also for copies, the IU Bookstore, Residence Hall Association stores and at the Main Library food court. Campus Access dollars roll over from year to year, unlike meal points, which are lost if not used.\n"It's a personal decision on how you want to spend your money," said Teresa Ray, manager of Campus Card Services. She said meal points are better for people who just want food, whereas Campus Access offers more options.\nAt The Wright Place, one of the busiest dining facilities on campus where about 5,000 students are served every day, they appreciate the patronage of off-campus students, said Jerry Russell, Wright food court's assistant manager.\n"The more the better. If kids off campus want to come here and eat, we welcome them," Russell said. "Some people off campus have the impression that to eat in the dorms, they have to live here"