Newcomer to promote album

"I think it's the finest work I've ever done … it's a little darker, a little edgier …" \n This is how Carrie Newcomer describes her latest album, The Age of Possibility, for which she is currently touring. The tour kicks off a two-month, 60-date stint with a concert at 8 p.m. Friday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. The performance is being filmed by WTIU for an hour-long PBS special.\n The Age of Possibility checked in at Number 16 on Billboard's Internet Sales Chart last week, and Newcomer just wrapped up a taping of National Public Radio's "World Cafe" in Philadelphia. A mixture of live music and interview, the "World Cafe" segment will air the second week of October on NPR affiliates.\n The songs on the album reflect on some of the more somber aspects of life, and yet are not depressing.\n "It's very personal writing, but there is a fine line between personal and self-indulgent that I try to never cross," Newcomer said. "I try to write about 'us' and about things we all recognize." \n Newcomer has a unique musical style which has been described as everything from "heartland rock" to country. But in truth it defies any easy classification. \n"My own voice comes from who I am, and where I grew up, and my landscape." \nAn Indiana native, Newcomer said she believes there is "a very powerful voice from the Midwest." \n"(Carrie) takes good account of the power of soul and blues ' her deep vocal swagger giving you the feeling that you've just lost a staring contest … ", Tom Russell, critic for The Austin Chronicle, said. \nBarbara Kingsolver, author of the acclaimed "Poisonwood Bible", has formed a special relationship with the artist, following the recording of Newcomer's album My True Name. The track "The Moon Over Tucson" was inspired by Kingsolver's work. \n "It's the rarest kind of musician who can use the power of words and the irresistible pull of music to wrap up the things you and I have always known and whisper to us: Yes, I know. Me too.", Kingsolver writes in the liner notes to The Age of Possibility. \nApproximately half of the upcoming shows, including tonight's, will feature Newcomer's full band, and half will be more pared-down performances. \n Tickets are still available for Friday's concert and can be purchased at the Sunrise Box Office for $10. Tickets may also be reserved by calling 812-323-3020, and members of the Bloomington Area Arts Council can obtain tickets without the standard surcharge.