LL Cool J 'back with a vengeance'

Watch out, Jamie Foxx and Canibus -- L.L. Cool J is back with a vengeance. On his latest album, G.O.A.T. Featuring James T. Smith -- The Greatest of All Time, the multi-talented L.L. returns with his most fierce and clever album in recent memory. Although the album does not necessarily prove he is indeed the greatest of all time, it does prove that L.L. is certainly not to be messed with.

LL Cool J
G.O.A.T.
Def Jam Records

Most of Uncle L.'s new album seems to be motivated by the beef with his "Any Given Sunday" co-star Foxx and "4, 3, 2, 1" collaborator Canibus. When L.L. said he's gonna knock you out - he ain't kidding. This is nothing like Eminem's sophomoric diss on the current crop of pop stars - L.L. is picking opponents of his size, strategically sizing up their weaknesses and then delivering lyrical assault. Of course, this wouldn't be an L.L. Cool J album without his usual womanizing routine. "Imagine That," "Take It Off" and "Hello," featuring Roc-A-Fella princess Amil, should help the album achieve the sales of L.L.'s previous records, but they are relatively tame and sophisticated compared to recent misogynist hits such as Mystikal's "Shake Ya Ass" and Juvenile's "Back That Azz Up." The album's highlights include the anthem "Back Where I Belong," in which L.L. declares war on his enemies. "Fuhgidabowdit," boasting some of the hottest rappers on the Def Jam roaster such as DMX, Method Man and Redman, is amusingly entertaining. Then L.L. goes back to Cali - well, sort of - with Snoop Dogg, Xzibit and Jayo Felony on "U Can't Fuck with Me."