Kicker could do double duty

Senior kicker Andy Payne wears two different shoe sizes. \nOn his right foot he wears a size nine. On his left foot Payne wears a size 11. The smaller shoe happens to be on Payne's kicking foot. \n"The shoe on my right foot conforms to my foot a little better," Payne said. "It stretches out and gives me better contact on the ball."\nJust like his shoe sizes, Payne's two duties for the football team Saturday against North Carolina State will probably be different. \nWhen the Hoosiers are looking to add points, he's the place-kicker. When IU is looking to make it more difficult for the Wolfpack to score points, he's expected to handle the punting duties.\nRather than being overwhelmed with playing two positions, Payne is looking to make the most of his opportunity.\n"I'm happy about it," he said. "It's something I've always wanted to do. I'm prepared and I'm ready to get it done. I'm just practicing punts more than I normally do."\nIf Payne is IU's punter, he won't be the only Big Ten player handling both the place-kicking and punting duties. Michigan junior Hayden Epstein was the Wolverines place-kicker and punter in 1999 and has the same role this season. Purdue junior Travis Dorsch also handles both duties for the Boilermakers.\nEasing Payne's burden is the fact he won't be kicking-off. Redshirt freshman Adam Braucher will be the Hoosiers' kickoff specialist against the Wolfpack.\n"Adam Braucher is going to do the kicking off, so that takes some pressure off Andy," coach Cam Cameron said. "If you ask a guy to do all three phases sometimes his leg can wear down." \nPayne was IU's "pooch" punter in 1999 while All-Big Ten punter Drew Hagan handled the regular punting duties. Payne averaged 38.8 yards in five attempts last season.\nHagan's graduation has left a void in IU's kicking game. The Hoosiers recruited Ryan Hamre as a punter in the offseason. Unless Hamre, freshman Tyson Picken or freshman Greg Blazak impress the coaches before Saturday's kickoff, Payne will punt.\n"Andy's punted and we haven't asked him to punt a lot," Cameron said. "We pretty much know what he can do. In all likelihood unless one of the younger guys really comes on, Andy will punt in this game."\nHamre is expected to be IU's punter of the future. As a senior at Boone High School in Orlando, Fla. Hamre averaged 45.7 yards per punt, earning him first-team all-state honors.\n"He's got a really strong leg," Payne said. "In the future he's going to be a great punter here. It's a competition. I imagine if he breaks out this week he would probably start. If he could boot it 60 yards, I would be happy."\nWhile IU's punting situation is unclear, the place-kicking situation is solidified. Payne has been IU's place-kicker since 1997, connecting on 34 of 46 career field goal attempts. Payne connected on 36 of 36 extra point attempts and 9 of 12 field goal opportunities last season.\n \nNAME CHANGE\nSenior Orlando Spencer, who will start alongside junior Sharrod Wallace at cornerback against N.C. State, isn't a transfer or late addition to IU's roster.\nTo honor his mother, Spencer switched his name from O.J. to Orlando in the offseason.\n"It's basically my mother's wish and I told her I would continue it," Spencer said. "She's been asking me to do it since high school."\nSpencer, a fifth-year senior, has already graduated from IU with a degree in English education. On the field, Spencer started eight games for the Hoosiers in 1998 and has four career interceptions.