Jazz From Bloomington highlights area talent at benefit concert

Jam session brings local jazz musicians together

The Jazz From Bloomington All-Stars, an ensemble composed of professors and other established performers, will play today at T.I.S. Music Shop, 1424 E. Third St. The concert is to publicize the group, which is devoted to attracting accomplished jazz artists to the Bloomington region. \nLocal performer Monika Herzig and husband Peter Kienle founded the society three years ago, with the release of their CD "Jazz from Bloomington 1997." Herzig, president of the group, said she hopes people attend the event to introduce themselves to jazz.\nThe Jazz From Bloomington All-Stars include professors Pat Harbison, associate professor of music and jazz trumpeter; Tom Walsh, assistant professor of saxophone and jazz studies; and pianist Rick Heeter. Other performers include Herzig and Keinle, Janiece Jaffe, John Huber, Pete Wilhoit and David Miller. \nWalsh said one of the group's missions is to attract a wide variety of jazz artists to the area.\n"The goal is to bring in national and international artists who would not normally play in Bloomington," he said.\nThroughout the year, the "All-Stars" also hold educational clinics, which are run by the visiting artists for free. Herzig said this year's programs include the Christian MacBride Band, Dave Holland Quintet and John Abercrombie. All artists will play at the Buskirk-Chumley, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. Admission is discounted for members of the group.\nStarting this summer, the T.I.S. Music Shop has held jazz shows every Tuesday night. This performance continues the summer series. \nHarbison said T.I.S. is is a wonderful place to play because it is easy to reach a broad audience.\n"We try to reach the IU campus and then spread to the community as a whole rather than just attracting certain groups of people to certain places," he said. "T.I.S. lets us do this." \nWhile not officially affiliated with the group, the school of music actively promotes them. Maria Talbert, assistant director of communications for the school of music, said she encourages people to attend. \n"It is important for faculty to be in the community," she said. "I urge everyone to come out and see what will surely be a high quality performance."\nThe performers said the program will follow an informal jam session format. It will be mostly improvisation, the trademark for much of their jazz style.\nThe event, which will serve refreshments, runs from 7-10 p.m. It is free and open to the public. More information on the performers can be found at the School of Music Web site at www.music.indiana.edu.