Hoosiers look toward defense for weekend win

The Hoosiers (3-0) open a two-game homestand this weekend Friday, when they take on San Diego State (2-2) and finish the weekend Sunday against the Aggies of Utah State (0-2).\nIU is looking forward to the match-ups this weekend because it gives them the opportunity to test their skills against a high level of competition before the Big Ten season begins.\n"This is very similar to the Big Ten season where you play a good team on Friday and turn around and get to play another good team on Sunday," coach Joe Kelley said. "This is really helping us for the Big Tens." \nThe Hoosiers start out with the Aztecs of San Diego State at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. \n"San Diego State brings a different style of play," Kelley said. "They play a west coast style, a possession. I think it's definitely a situation we're ready for."\nThe Aztecs are returning seven starters from a team that compiled a record of 15-7-0, tying them for the top spot in the Mountain West regular season and placing second in the conference tournament. Their record earned them a position in the NCAA tournament where they lost in the first round. \n The Hoosiers see a key to success this weekend is picking it up from last weekend's tournament in Vermont.\n"Last weekend we kind of played slow, and we want to pick that up," junior midfielder Stacey Peterson said. "We want to play faster; quicker plays, quicker runs. We want to play physical. Joe stresses that."\nDespite the Aztecs success last year, the Hoosiers are trying to stay focused and not get intimidated.\n"I know that we're not going to do bad against them," sophomore forward Kate Kastl said. "If we keep on doing what we've been doing against them, we'll be all right."\nWrapping up the weekend, the Hoosiers take on Utah State of the Big West conference at 11 a.m. Sunday. A year ago, the Aggies went 7-9-0 in the regular season, tying for 4th in their conference. This season they are 0-2, dropping contests to UNLV and Iowa. Despite their record, the Hoosiers are not looking past the Aggies. \n"Utah State's a good team," Kelley said. 'Anytime you can stay with a team like Iowa and the forwards they have shows that you are pretty well organized defensively. They're good, athletic and it's going to be a good test for us."\nIU's weekend opponents will have to find a way to cut through a defense that hasn't allowed a goal in two preseason and three regular season contests.\n"I think defensively we have to be very well organized and dictate the game through the defense," Kelley said. "The defense makes our offense go. We play good defense, we win the ball in areas of the field where we can do something with it. We don't want the other team to have very many opportunities on goal or get any kind of momentum because of that defense. Our midfielders are making our team go right now." \nWhile battling the Hoosiers defense the Aztecs and Aggies will have to stop an offensive attack, lead by Big Ten Co-Player of the week Kelly Kram, that has outshot their opponents 58-18. \n"Who do you watch?" Kelley asked. "Yeah they're going to watch Kelly (Kram) a lot this weekend but (Emliy) Hotz can step up, Shelly (Gruszka), Kate (Kastl). We have a lot of weapons. It's the first time we've ever had that"