Gore supporters start campus group

IU Students for Gore wants to change the perception that Indiana is a rock-solid Republican state.\nAnd the group is looking for as many IU students as possible to help.\nIU Students for Gore, created in August by a group of College Democrats, held its kickoff meeting Tuesday evening in the Sassafras Room of the Indiana Memorial Union. Eleven students were present for the event. \nThe group focuses educating students about Vice President Al Gore's position on campaign issues, said group vice president Tiffany Benjamin. \n"Maybe we can go to some of these debates and get out there and show that some people in Indiana actually do support Al Gore," Benjamin said.\nTreasurer Dan O'Neill, a junior, emphasized that Students for Gore's national focus doesn't mean the group's work ignores other election races.\n"By working for Gore, we're working for all Democratic candidates," he said.\nBenjamin, a junior, said she, O'Neill, and president Erin Moran, a senior, wanted to form an organization supporting Gore's campaign separately from College Democrats, in part because the presidential race is expected to be an extremely close one. \nStudents for Gore is planning a trip to local high schools to talk to seniors about candidates and their stances on various issues. Moran said she has received support from local teachers and now is looking to find Republican representatives to go with her to the schools.\n"Our whole point is outreach," Moran said. "We're hoping for any way we can spread the word."\nMoran also mentioned the possibility of having Gore's daughter Kristen come to speak on campus.\n"Whatever you guys want to do, feel free to talk to us," she said. "We're pretty low-key, and we welcome ideas."\nIn a few weeks members might be able to see the inner workings of a national campaign first-hand, as Students for Gore leaders are trying to coordinate a trip to Nashville, Tenn., to Gore's campaign headquarters.\nAfter the meeting, Moran reflected on her long-standing support of Al Gore.\n"I've been a Gore supporter since the beginning, since the Clinton years," Moran said. "I think he's the candidate for the majority of the country. I think that encouraging students to vote for Al Gore is in their best interest."\nMoran elaborated by saying she thinks Gore can represent the average American and best represents students, because he addresses the needs of college students specifically -- the need for grants and other tuition assistance.\nJunior Kal Mehta, treasurer for College Democrats and a new Students for Gore member, said he wants to help the Gore campaign because he supports Gore's position on the environment, gun control and education. Mehta said his goal is to "find out ways I can help students find out more. Most students on this campus haven't found out much about Bush or Gore."\nMehta and other Students for Gore members said they hope outreach through education might chip away at the Indiana Republican rock.