Ex-coach claims sexism

Izard alleges gender discrimination

Former IU women's basketball coach Jim Izard filed a federal discrimination complaint Aug. 28 against IU, claiming his March dismissal was based on his gender.\nIn the complaint, filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Izard accused the University of sex and age discrimination and a violation of the Equal Pay Act.\nAt the end of March, Izard, 52, was replaced by Kathi Bennett, 37, previously the women's basketball coach at the University of Evansville. Izard was the last male coach remaining among the Big Ten women's basketball teams.\nIn his last year at IU, Izard made $76,775, and never had more than a one-year contract during his tenure as IU's coach. Bennett was hired under a multi-year contract for $110,000 per year.\nJunior Jill Chapman, one of last year's team captains, said she thinks Izard's firing was based more on wins and losses than gender. Chapman said she never once heard her teammates discussing the fact that Izard was male.\n"I don't think that's the reason," Chapman said. "It was just his philosophy and not having a winning season last season."\nShe singled out specific areas, such as substitution situations, she felt he did not handle well. \nBut Izard said athletics director Clarence Doninger told him numerous times he wanted a female to coach the team.\n"I've had it said to me in meetings with Clarence, and I've had it said to me informally from Clarence," Izard said. "I was terminated, and a female was put in that post. It was not the right thing for them to do."\nVice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Christopher Simpson said he was unable to comment on the case because of pending litigation. \nIndianapolis attorneys Ida Lamberti and Patricia Grow are representing Izard. Lamberti said Izard's performance as a coach was never examined during his 12-year IU career.\n"He was never formally or informally evaluated during his time there," Lamberti said.\nIzard said the only type of evaluation was "goal-setting," where he and Doninger would map out goals they wanted the women's basketball program to accomplish. Izard said this practice started about three years ago with all athletic coaches.\n"They may call it review, but it was called goal-setting," Izard said. "They can twist it anyway they want to, but it was goal setting."\nDuring the course of his 12-year career at IU, Izard compiled a 188-158 record, making him the winningest coach in the program's history. His best Big Ten finish was third place, and last season the Hoosiers tied for eighth in the conference with a 5-11 record.\n"We tried to run (the program) first-class with a high integrity," Izard said. "I was very much of a team player there. Clarence has even told me that. It was just a total involvement, and we did that for 12 years."\nIzard said he and his staff always "followed the chain of command" and "worked within the frame of the department."\nThe former coach emphasized he does want some sort of validation to his cause, but he also said he wants to prevent the same thing from happening to other coaches.\n"I really thought a long time about this, and it's not something I just did overnight," Izard said. "I just felt like it was very important that it didn't continue with other coaches."\nUntil the dispute is resolved, Izard is living in Florida and looking at his future coaching options. He is entertaining coaching at other colleges and also considering the WNBA.\n"I'm volunteering to do some work with the Boys and Girl's Club because there are no coaching positions available from now until mid-February," Izard said. "I obviously do want to coach again"