Colts travel to Kansas City

For Colts fans everywhere, it is the day they have been waiting for since Jan. 16. \nOn that winter day, Indianapolis dropped a 19-16 decision to Tennessee at the RCA Dome in a Divisional playoff game. In a three-hour span, everything the Colts had worked for during the 1999 season was gone.\nThis weekend marks the beginning of the road to redemption. The 2000 edition of the Indianapolis Colts begins at noon Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.\nThis week, the Colts have been solely focused on the Chiefs, a team that went 9-7 last year and just missed the playoffs. \n"You don't even hear anybody talking about last year," defensive back Jason Belser said. "The only expectations we have is to win our next game and that's Kansas City. That's how it's going to be for 16 weeks."\nSimilar to the Colts disappointing season-ending loss, the Chiefs ended last year with a heart-breaking 41-38 loss at home to Oakland, preventing Kansas City from advancing to the playoffs. \nFrom that loss is a lingering bad taste in the Chiefs' mouths. Tight end Tony Gonzalez says the Chiefs are ready to move on.\n"It was the way we lost that last game," Gonzalez said. "That left a bad taste all off-season. I can't wait for the season to begin to get rid of the (taste)."\nThe Colts come into the game receiving a whirlwind of media attention.\nQuarterback Peyton Manning, receiver Marvin Harrison and running back Edgerrin James form the deadliest trio of offensive players in the league.\n "It's a great time to be a Colt," Manning said. "We have a lot of starters back. Everybody's really optimistic."\nAt the center of the national glare is Manning, who, in his third year, has asserted himself as one of the league's top quarterbacks. Kansas City coach Gunther Cunningham and his defense has the difficult task of containing Manning and his numerous offensive weapons.\nThe problem is, Cunningham hasn't figured out how to do that just yet.\n"He really amazes me," Cunningham said. "He has a real sense for the game and a real instinct for the game to go along with a great arm. I'm really impressed with him."\nThe Chiefs will try to pound the ball down the throat of the Colts' defense with running back Mike Cloud. Quarterback Elvis Grbac doesn't have many receiving options other than Gonzalez.\nThe Colts will be ready for the challenge.\n"They pride themselves on being a physical team," Belser said. "If they can establish the run, that opens up their passing game. They're dangerous in both ways."\nOn top of the problems created by the Chiefs on the field, Arrowhead Stadium is one of the toughest places to play in the NFL. Even though it might be a hostile environment, Belser relishes the opportunity.\n"It's a great place to play," Belser said. "It's really something special playing K.C. with their fans. In that environment, you really have to pull together as a team."\nThe Colts are ready to get their season underway. With basically the same players back and the same system intact, Indianapolis is confident they will only be better Sunday and throughout the year. Still, Belser realizes how hard it is to sustain success in the league.\n"Getting ready for the season, no matter what you're doing, it's going to be difficult," Belser said. \nIn the end, Colt linebacker Cornelius Bennett is ready for Sunday and the start of the 2000 season for his own reasons.\n"I'm ready for the big paychecks," Bennett said.