Boyz II Men back with new LP

After a three year hiatus, multi-platinum group Boyz II Men returns to the music scene with very little fanfare. Certainly, a lot has changed in the last three years. The male vocal groups, now also known as boy bands, are no longer being judged based on their musical abilities as in the heyday of Boyz II Men. Instead, poser groups like the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC are achieving record-breaking album sales.

Boyz II Men
Nathan Michael Shawn Wanya
Universal Music

Boyz II Men's new album, Nathan Michael Shawn Wanya, is clearly steering away from its "Motownphilly" boyz phase well into manhood. Gone are the days when the Boyz endlessly pleaded its unrequited love in heartbreaking ballads. Also gone are the airwave-friendly sleek productions of Babyface, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and Dallas Austin. The album, which is mostly written and produced by the band itself, is more musically daring and vocally demanding than its previous four albums. It showcases the group's versatility with the Spanish-flared "Beautiful Women," "Good Guy" and "What the Deal," as well as the techno-tinged "Bounce, Shake, Move, Swing." Possibly taking a hint from the now-defunct group Az Yet, the Boyz have commissioned the ex-Take 6 member Mervyn Warren to produce the vocally challenging "I Do." It is evident the group has poured its collective heart into this album. It is full of mesmerizing harmonization and beautiful arrangements that will surely inspire a new generation of vocal groups. Unfortunately, the group has made quite a conservative decision in choosing the "Water Runs Dry"-esque "Pass You By" and the bland "Thank You in Advance" as the album's first two singles over the more impressive tracks. Aside from the aforementioned "I Do," the album is also elevated by tracks like the irresistibly catchy "Step On Up" as well as the passionate "I Finally Know" that best illustrate the group members' maturity as musicians.