Hoosierfest returns to Bloomington

Festival celebrates school year, re-opening of Kirkwood

As soon as the street pavers are done and the backhoes are gone from Kirkwood Avenue, the workers for Hoosierfest will begin setting up. The Saturday festival features an evening of concerts and a beer garden on Kirkwood Avenue between Dunn Street and Indiana Avenue. \n"We want to roll out the red carpet and welcome the students back," said Talisha Coppock, executive director for the Commission for Bloomington Downtown.\nIn addition to kicking off the school year, this weekend's Hoosierfest will celebrate the re-opening of Kirkwood to both pedestrian and motor traffic. \n"This year is particularly exciting because we'll be celebrating the re-opening," said Suzanne Phillips, co-director of the festival. "Business (on Kirkwood) has been down, and this will help introduce the merchants to the new and returning students." Phillips also serves as the assistant dean of students for the University, and has worked with Hoosierfest since it began in 1987.\nThe main attraction will be the 40-foot stage featuring local and regional groups. Headlining the festival is Cracker, who will perform from 9:30 - 11 p.m. David Lowery of Cracker will be doing a reunion tour directly after Hoosierfest with his former band, Camper von Beethoven. Karl Denson's Tiny Universe and local group Umphrey's McGee will play from 6:15 - 7:15 p.m.\n"We tried to get a variety of music to please all kinds of people ' it's a little bit of everything," said Dave Kubiak, co-director and local club owner. "It will be pretty cool to be partying in the street."\nThe day will begin at 10 a.m., when the Star of Indiana Mini Grand Prix race will whip around the Monroe County Courthouse. Local businesses will send teams of employees to race 32 cars. Following the race is the 13th Annual Fountain Square Mall Celebration, with family activities such as clowns, magicians, a caricature artist, cookies and punch.\nThe events on Kirkwood open at 2 p.m., with live music beginning at 3 p.m. Admission is free until 4 p.m., and is $5 for the rest of the evening. \nThe musical lineup is: Daniel Cage, 3 - 4 p.m.; Shannon Curfman, 4:30 - 5:45 p.m.; Umphrey's McGee, 6:15 - 7:15 p.m.; Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, 7:45 - 9 p.m.; and Cracker, 9:30 - 11 p.m.