Around the Arts

IU Ballet season tickets now on sale\nSubscriptions for the IU Ballet Season 2000-2001 have been on sale since Aug. 21. It is the first season for which the School of Music has offered subscriptions to its ballet series. They include fall and spring productions of classical and contemporary pieces, and the annual December performance of Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker."\nBenefits of subscribing include savings of more than 10 percent off the normal cost of single ballet tickets, first choice of the best seats for the entire season, the convenience of having tickets mailed and free replacement of lost or stolen tickets. Subscribers will also be provided with ballet preview guides, which include program notes and biographies of dancers, faculty and guest artists.\nSubscription packages range in cost from $39 to $56 and can be purchased through the box office by phone at 855-7433. For more information, visit www.music.indiana.edu.\nTheater alumnus to perform at Bear's\nTom Sobel, a 1987 IU theater alumnus, will headline at Bear's Place, 1316 East 3rd St., today. He has been touring the country with his standup routine for most of his adult life and has made appearances with Jay Leno, Jeff Foxworthy and Tim Allen. Sobel has published three books, including "Hell Gig." \nThe show will begin at 8 p.m., and admission is $5. For more information about Tom Sobel, visit www.streetjoke.com.\n'Joseph' run extended\nThe Edyvean Repertory Theatre of Indianapolis recently announced that it is adding a week of performances to its season-opening performance of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." The Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber musical will now run Sept. 8-23. \n"'Joseph' has been one of the most popular shows in our theatre's history, thanks to its upbeat music and appeal to all ages, and this production will continue that tradition," said production director Phillip Colglazier in a press release. "Based on single ticket sales during the first week they were available to the public, we decided to add a third weekend to our schedule."\nThe repertory performs in the Ransburg Auditorium on the campus of the University of Indianapolis campus, 1400 E. Hanna Ave. Tickets can be purchased by calling the ERT box office at 317-783-4090 or 800-807-7732. Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more, seniors and students. For more information, visit www.edyvean.org.\nIU Theatre holding 'Equus' auditions\nAuditions for "Equus," the first production of the 2000-2001 University Theatre season began Sunday and will continue from 6:30-9:30 p.m. today in TH125.\nThere will be no sign-up sheet for these auditions which will be held on a first-come, first-seen basis. Rehearsals begin Thursday.\nAll auditionees must have read the play and prepare a 90-second contemporary, serious monologue that is committed to memory. \nFor further information, please contact stage manager Shawn Rieschl Johnson at shamjohn@indiana.edu.