Last week I interviewed and wrote about Walter Offutt, a 6-foot-3 Indianapolis native and former 4-star recruit that could find his way onto the IU roster as a walk-on. Offutt was a Top 100 prospect coming out of high school, according to Rivals.com, and is transferring from Wright State.

The Warren Central grad, who named IU and Ohio University as his leaders (but told me he was "leaning towards Indiana"), said he hoped to make it to campus with his mother to further discuss the possibility of joining the Hoosiers.

Early this afternoon, Offutt had this to say via text:

My mom is going down sometime this week & I will be going down another time

This message doesn't say a whole lot, but it does show his continued interest in IU and efforts being made to fully explore his options. Last week, Offutt said he wanted to choose his future college by the first week of May.

Offutt played his freshman year and a few games of his sophomore year for Thad Matta at Ohio State. Early this fall, he transferred to Wright State, where he is currently finishing up his spring quarter. Upon Brad Brownell's departure for Clemson, Offutt opted to continue his basketball career elsewhere.

The combo guard could go on scholarship at Ohio, but cannot receive a basketball scholarship at IU, having already played in the Big Ten.

xxx

Last Friday, during our tour of Cook Hall, former Tennessee Volunteer and one-time Crean recruit Emmanuel Negedu was spotted and reportedly was in town for much of the weekend.

He would have to be medically cleared to have a chance to suit up for IU, or any other program for that matter after suffering a sudden cardiac arrest last September.