First off, my deepest apologies for not coming through last night, I didn't run across my notebook until far too late for effective blogging. I also apologize for a little bit of incorrect reporting as pointed out by a commenter on my last post -- Kipp Schutz had a first-pitch home run off Eric Arnett, one of two runs the right-hander gave up on the day.

Again, I apologize. And with that, let us launch into what gems my notebook might hold for you (click beyond to read a short Q&A with coach Smith:

--Dickerson went 2-for-3 with a ground-rule double and a three-run home run, like I said last night. The ground rule double might have even been a triple if it hadn't bounced over the fence.

"We've been waiting for him to show that power, we know he's got it," IU coach Tracy Smith said. "It's tough in the fall, you tired of looking at each other. When the lights get turned on a little bit, you throw the uniform on, it kind of raises that adrenaline level."

--Jake Dunning made a solid over-the-shoulder play going out on a ball in short left field late in the game, perhaps affirming a bit more his skill with the glove.

--Drew Leininger had a fairly rough first outing. He got the first two outs of his first inning, but then allowed all seven Crimson runs, including the homer by his high school teammate. He recovered for a 1-2-3 inning in the next frame and finished out the game..

--Josh Lyon also smacked a first-pitch, opposite-field home run pinch-hitting for the Cream.

--Chris Hervey was hit with the first pitch he saw from Eric Arnett. I kid you not.

Q&A with Tracy Smith on Cream and Crimson game one

Question: What were your impressions of this first game?

Answer: I was pleased with the way both teams played. It was clean, well-played from a defensive standpoint and you got a little bit of everything -- saw some good pitching performances, some good hitting performances, and I thought it was solid, I really did. We had the one inning where the team scored seven runs, all with two outs, you don't like to see that, but I thought for the most part it was a well-played game.

Question: Did you like seeing all those left-handers out on the mound?

Answer: Mm hmm, I did, and at the plate too. We've not been able to throw a lot of lefties out there, and from an offensive standpoint, it's been good to do that. You're whole goal is to get better and better as the fall continues, build toward the season.

Question: What would you like to see immediate improvement on after game one?

Answer: The big inning. You can't allow the big inning, and as I said earlier, it's good from an offensive standpoint it all came with two outs, but bad from a pitching standpoint -- you've got to cut it off, you've got to shut it down. I think (Leininger) lost his focus and concentration a little bit, and a young pitcher, that's sometimes to be expected, but we've definitely got to get better than that.

Question: What kind of mentality do you try to foster in these fall games? Do you want it more intense, more relaxed?

Answer: You don't worry so much about the injuries, at least, I don't. More importantly, when you have the guest coaches ... we tell the guys it's to have fun, but we're also gonna play hard and play smart and play Indiana baseball. I think we accomplished all those things today.