Hey folks,

Just got off the phone with Eric Arnett and Chris Hervey, two of the key players in the Hoosiers' 9-2 win over Michigan State to open the do-or-die four-game set in East Lansing. Arnett was stellar for the Hoosiers, going eight innings, surrendering just two runs (both on a home run by Fort Wayne native Kyle Day. Hervey was equally impressive at the plate, going 3-for-5 with four RBIs and the team's only home run.

The Hoosiers led the whole way. After the Spartans cut it to 3-2 in the sixth, IU answered with five runs in the top half of the next inning to put the game away. Chris Squires came on in the ninth, striking out all three batters he faced in the ninth to end the game.

IU's win, coupled with a 9-4 Northwestern loss to Michigan, inches the Hoosiers closer to a Big Ten Tournament appearance, which would be the program's first since 2003.

Arnett notched one of his best performances of the season, though the sophomore from Pataskala, Ohio, said he didn't approach his start any differently, despite the added magnitude of the situation.

"It was in the back of my mind, but I didn't want to go and approach the game any different from any other game," Arnett said.

Arnett also said that, though the team is willing to do whatever necessary to win, he doesn't see himself pitching again this weekend, even in an emergency situation.

"I wouldn't see that," Arnett said Thursday night. "We've got tons of guys in the bullpen who would all do a great job."

In other pertinent action, Iowa defeated Ohio State 4-3 in 10 innings, keeping the possibility of overtaking Ohio State alive as well, however slim it might be.

However, Hervey said the club isn't worried about the bigger picture at the moment.

"We've gotta win these games," Hervey said.

As for Hervey's personal chase for the IU record of most times hit by a pitch in a season, the junior left fielder is still looking for the record-breaking 17th HBP of the season. When asked if he'd throw himself at a pitch before the series was over, Hervey laughed and responded, "If the opportunity presents itself, definitely."

Check back tomorrow, and I'll have a wrap of the Hoosiers' two games against Michigan State tomorrow. Not sure who starts tomorrow, though I can almost guarantee Bashore will get the nod in game one as he always does. The second game of the doubleheader could see McCombs or Tufts, it seems pretty much up in the air at this point. We'll find out soon enough. Take it easy.