bloomington

Surprise, surprise: I-69 completion in Monroe County delayed again

News-filler

Construction along I-69 Section 5, will not meet its goal of substantial completion by Aug. 31, according to a press release from the Bloomington Department of Public Works. Roadwork will continue to cause delays for motorists through the end of 2018.

I-69 Section 5 has been under construction since 2014 and is a project of the Indiana Department of Transportation. INDOT reported the delay to the Bloomington/Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization Aug. 10.

"After years of continuing delays, we were hoping for better news from INDOT," Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton said in the press release.

To accommodate increased traffic during IU student move-in week, there will be four lanes open to traffic, two northbound and two southbound from south of Fullerton Pike to between Sample Road and Chambers Pike. 

INDOT has also adopted an accelerated schedule, working 16 hours a day and six days a week. 

Starting in mid-September, intersection construction at State Road 46/State Road 37 could limit traffic to one lane for eight weeks, according to INDOT's presentation. The project was initially planned to be completed in 2019.

INDOT also announced that it will coordinate with IU Athletics to ease congestion the lane restriction would cause during home football games.

"While construction continues we urge the university community to plan ahead, be patient and allow extra travel time," said Kirk White, Indiana University Assistant Vice President for Engagement in the press release.