administration

IU Board of Trustees approves new residence hall, volleyball and wrestling facility and new degrees

board of trustees graphic new.png

A new residence hall, increased room and board rates, new degrees and more were approved by the IU Board of Trustees at last week's meeting at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.

All issues discussed at the committee meetings were approved by the board, according to IU's Twitter page. The proposals included many projects at IU’s regional campuses.

Room and Board

A new $99 million residence hall and dining facility to be completed by fall 2020 was approved by the board, according to the IU Twitter page. Its dining hall will be convenient for students in Briscoe, McNutt and Foster Quads.

Residence and dining rates will increase by an average of 2.3 percent in the 2018-19 school year, bringing standard room and board to $6,965, up $157 from the current price. The IU Board of Trustees Finance, Audit & Strategic Planning Committee unanimously approved the new rates Thursday.

A slew of other renovations will have begun or been completed by 2020, including Briscoe, Forest, Foster, McNutt, Teter, Wright and Wells Quads, as well as Collins and Read Centers and Eigenmann Hall.

The committee approved a reimbursement resolution for $78.5 million in renovations to the Old Crescent, including Ballantine Hall and Geological Sciences. Another $45 million reimbursement resolution was approved for an academic health sciences building.

Sports

A new indoor volleyball and wrestling arena will be completed by September. The facility will be donated by the Jay Wilkinson family, according to a press release.

Athletic Director Fred Glass delivered the athletics report. He touched on concussions, sexual misconduct and national titles.

IU Athletics is participating in the NCAA concussion assessment research and education consortium, which provides infrastructure and scientific expertise to study concussions, according to their website.

Glass also talked about the sexual misconduct policy for IU Athletics. 

Last spring, IU Athletics adopted a new policy to not accept student-athletes with histories of sexual violence.

Athletics tells all staff members they have a duty to report sexual misconduct, Glass said according to the IU Twitter page.

“If they fail to do so, they will be subject to sanctions and/or termination,” Glass said, according to the IU Twitter page.

Glass also said football attendance is up 33 percent from 2008 and men’s soccer had the highest average attendance last season since 2005.

“We have 25 national team titles, Purdue has three,” Glass said, according to the IU Twitter page.

Academics

Five new degrees were approved, three of which will be available at IU-Bloomington. IU will now offer an M.S. in healthcare management, an online M.A. in English, an online M.S. in criminal justice & public safety, and an online master of liberal studies.

B.A.’s in sociology were approved for IU-Purdue University Columbus.