sports field hockey

Field hockey stays winless in conference play

Sophomore forward Sam Scire tracks down a ball against Michigan on Friday afternoon at the IU Field Hockey Complex. IU lost to No. 3 Michigan, 2-0, and to Michigan State, 3-2, this past weekend. 

With only two conference games left in the regular season, the IU field hockey team is running out of time to record a Big Ten win.

IU lost both of its home conference games this weekend, dropping a 2-0 contest to No. 3 Michigan on Friday and losing 3-2 to Michigan State on Sunday afternoon. 

The Hoosiers failed to record a shot in Friday's loss, as the Wolverines outshot IU 27-0. IU senior goalkeeper Katie Johnson posted a single-game best with 13 saves in the loss.

“I knew what I was expecting going into this game, so I asked for extra work throughout the week," Johnson said. "Because of that, I went into the game confident in myself and my defense in front of me."

The combined efforts from Johnson and the IU defense limited Michigan to just two goals. It was Michigan's lowest scoring output since Sept. 22 against Ohio State.

“I’m really pleased with the team’s effort," IU Coach Amanda Janney said. "They played strong in a really tough match.  Every time they entered our 25, our defense did a great job to step up and apply pressure. We were making some plays we weren’t able to make in past weeks."

IU's 2-0 loss to Michigan State on Sunday dropped the Hoosiers to a 6-10 overall record and an 0-6 Big Ten mark this season.

The two IU goals came from sophomore midfielder Ciara Girouard and sophomore forward Kelsey Giese.

IU was heavily outshot in the loss as well, as the Spartans put 13 shots on net.

Johnson had another impressive game with a total of 10 saves. 

“We had some encouraging plays on offense, we just need to get more players up on attack," Janney said. "I’m really pleased with the team for their corner execution, that Kelsey was able to execute her shot."

IU would have to pull an upset to grab its first Big Ten win of the season this week.

The Hoosiers close their season on the road Friday at No. 25 Ohio State before a Senior Day matchup against No. 6 Penn State in Bloomington on Sunday.