Thursday rundown: Trump comes to Indy, IU football to take on Penn, fraternity holds Elimination of Prejudice Week, history behind Lotus Festival

Morning rundown

Trump visits Indianapolis

President Donald Trump speaks to a crowd at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Farm Bureau building on Sept. 27. Trump discussed the new tax haul plan.
President Donald Trump speaks to a crowd at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Farm Bureau building on Sept. 27. Trump discussed the new tax haul plan. Evan De Stefano

President Trump urged Hoosiers to demand a tax overhaul from their politicians at the Indiana State Fairgrounds on Wednesday. He told the invite-only audience the time for tax reform is now. Read more here.

IU football will take on No. 4 Penn

Junior defensive back Tyler Green celebrates after making a tackle against Georgia Southern last Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium. Green and the IU defense will have the task this Saturday of defending Penn State junior running back Saquon Barkley.
Junior defensive back Tyler Green celebrates after making a tackle against Georgia Southern last Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium. Green and the IU defense will have the task this Saturday of defending Penn State junior running back Saquon Barkley. Bobby Goddin

IU football’s visit to No. 4 Penn State will pose a challenge for the Hoosiers. Penn State junior running back Saquon Barkley has terrorized opponents through four games this season, and now it’s the job of Tom Allen’s defense to stop him. Read more here.

Pi Lamda Phi was host to "Elimination of prejudice week"

Freshman Nick Broderick signs the Wall of Prejudice during Pi Lambda Phi’s Elimination of Prejudice Week event Wednesday afternoon in front of the gates of the Arboretum on Tenth Street and Fee Lane. The event is a part of Pilam’s Week of Philanthropy and aims to bring hope and draw attention to prejudice on campus.
Freshman Nick Broderick signs the Wall of Prejudice during Pi Lambda Phi’s Elimination of Prejudice Week event Wednesday afternoon in front of the gates of the Arboretum on Tenth Street and Fee Lane. The event is a part of Pilam’s Week of Philanthropy and aims to bring hope and draw attention to prejudice on campus. Andrew Williams

As part of its annual “Elimination of Prejudice Week,” Pi Lambda Phi continues to bring events to campus focused on discrimination in the community. This year, the fraternity partnered with the Asian Culture Center to learn how to deal with issues such as color blindness and microaggressions on campus. Read more here.

How Lotus Festival got its name

The Lotus Festival is named after Hoosier musician Quinten “Lotus” Dickey. Dickey was a folk singer, songwriter, fiddler and guitarist from Orange County, Indiana. 
The Lotus Festival is named after Hoosier musician Quinten “Lotus” Dickey. Dickey was a folk singer, songwriter, fiddler and guitarist from Orange County, Indiana.  IDS file photo

The Lotus Festival was named after a musician from Indiana: Quinten “Lotus” Dickey. Dickey was a talented folk singer, songwriter, fiddler and guitarist from Orange County, Indiana. His songs were inspired by his family and community, according to the festival's website. Read more here.