* FINAL: That’ll do it from Memorial Stadium, as IU finishes a 52-17 blowout win over Georgia Southern. On a day where IU honored its 2007 Insight Bowl team, the 2017 Hoosiers took another step toward bowl eligibility with their second win of the season.
IU jumped out to a quick start, with three touchdowns in the game’s first 10 minutes, and never looked back. By halftime, IU led 31-7, and Ian Thomas’ touchdown early in the third quarter put things away, despite Georgia Southern scoring the last 10 points of the game.
In the first full game with IU using two quarterbacks regularly, both Richard Lagow and Peyton Ramsey were productive. Lagow finished with 130 passing yards and a touchdown, while Ramsey had 55 yards and a touchdown through the air.
Freshman running back Morgan Ellison was the breakout star of the game for IU, carrying the ball 25 times for 186 yards and two touchdowns. The Hoosier defense also had a strong day, particularly in the first half when they recovered two fumbles. In total, IU recovered three fumbles, its first three takeaways of the season.
IU moved to 2-1 with the win, and will head to Penn State next weekend for its first Big Ten road game.
* TOUCHDOWN (2:19 - 4th quarter): Another score for the Hoosiers as sophomore defensive back Andre Brown Jr. stripped a Georgia Southern receiver of the football and walked into the end zone from 22 yards out. 52-17 IU leads.
* End of 3rd quarter: IU remains in control thanks to a big day on the ground from Morgan Ellison, who is closing in on 200 yards rushing. The IU defense has taken some hits though with sophomore husky Marcelino Ball and sophomore defensive back A'Shon Riggins both leaving the game with injuries. IU leads Georgia Southern 45-17.
* Field Goal (3:46 - 3rd quarter): 32-yard field goal by Georgia Southern sophomore kicker Tyler Bass is good. 45-17 IU leads.
* TOUCHDOWN (9:38 - 3rd quarter): Shai Werts hits sophomore wide receiver D'Ondre Glenn with a 63-yard touchdown pass. Busted coverage for the IU secondary on the play. 45-14 IU leads. Just before the touchdown, sophomore husky Marcelino Ball went down injured for IU.
* TOUCHDOWN (10:42 - 3rd quarter): Ramsey, in at quarterback for Lagow, hits sophomore running back Devonte Williams on a swing pass, and Williams does the rest. A 42-yard touchdown pass is the result and IU is in cruise control with a 45-7 lead.
* TOUCHDOWN (14:21 - 3rd quarter): Richard Lagow connects with Ian Thomas for a massive 71-yard touchdown pass. Thomas dragged a couple of Georgia Southern defenders the final five yards into the end zone with him. Lagow was down injured after being hit late, but walked off the field by himself. 38-7 IU leads.
* Halftime: IU leads Georgia Southern 31-7. Morgan Ellison has 128 yards rushing with two touchdowns. The Hoosiers have 251 yards of total offense and the IU defense has recorded two fumble recoveries.
* TOUCHDOWN (2:51 - 2nd quarter): Georgia Southern finally gets on the board as freshman quarterback Shai Werts connects with junior tight end Ellis Richardson on a 23-yard touchdown pass. It's 31-7 now late in the first half.
* TOUCHDOWN (11:49 - 2nd quarter): Morgan Ellison records his second touchdown of the day on a one-yard touchdown run up the middle. It's 31-0 to IU football.
* Fumble (13:25 - 2nd quarter): Senior defensive back Chase Dutra forces and recovers a Georgia Southern fumble. IU ball at the Georgia Southern 36-yard-line.
* Field Goal (14:14 - 2nd quarter): Senior kicker Griffin Oakes connects on a 27-yard field goal. 24-0 Hoosiers lead.
* End of 1st quarter: IU is dominating with a 21-0 lead.
* TOUCHDOWN (4:56 - 1st quarter): Everything is going IU's way. After a big 34-yard rush by Morgan Ellison, quarterback Peyton Ramsey rushes a couple times to move IU inside the 10-yard-line. Ellison then fumbles the ball on a run from the three-yard-line, but the ball is recovered in the end zone by IU junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr for a touchdown. 21-0 Hoosiers lead.
* FUMBLE (5:52 - 1st quarter): Georgia Southern senior running back L.A. Ramsby picks up 16 yards on a rush, but then fumbles the ball after being tackled by junior defensive back Tyler Green. Fumble is recovered by IU senior linebacker Chris Covington.
* TOUCHDOWN (6:27 - 1st quarter): Junior wide receiver J-Shun Harris posts another punt return TD, this one from 70 yards out. Harris wasn't touched on the return, and IU football seems to be in complete control. 14-0 Hoosiers lead.
* TOUCHDOWN (8:54 - 1st quarter): Freshman running back Morgan Ellison takes a handoff from fellow freshman quarterback Peyton Ramsey and runs up the middle for a two-yard score. After a sluggish start, the IU offense has rounded into form. 7-0 Hoosiers with 8:54 to go in the first quarter.
* IU won the opening coin toss and differed to the second half. Georgia Southern will start the game with the football.
* Welcome to today's IU football live updates page. The Hoosiers (1-1) welcome Georgia Southern (0-2) to Memorial Stadium for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff.
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.
More in Sports
IU women’s basketball all-time scoring leader signs a contract with Sporting Athens.
Multiple tight ends could see playing time for the Hoosiers in 2018.
Taylor Swope, Kelsey Giese and Ciara Girouard chosen to represent IU in the All-Big Ten preseason team.