IU special teams players earn national recognition

J-Shun Harris

J-Shun Harris II, IU junior punt returner and wide receiver, was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week on Monday, the conference announced.

Harris returned a punt for a touchdown and racked up more than 100 return yards in IU’s 34-17 win against Virginia on Saturday. It’s the first weekly honor Harris has picked up in his college career, and he is the first Hoosier to win Special Teams Player of the Week since senior kicker Griffin Oakes was recognized in 2015.

The 109 punt return yards totaled by Harris were the most by an IU player in a single game since 1991. He had two different returns of more than 40 yards, including the 44-yard touchdown.

After missing the last two seasons with two different ACL injuries, Harris is back on the field for the Hoosiers this season and has found a spot as a returner. He also has one pass reception for four yards, but Harris’ 21.8 yards per return average is currently the sixth-best in the country.

Another IU special teams contributor, sophomore punter Haydon Whitehead, earned recognition after a strong performance against Virginia. Whitehead was added to the watch list for the Ray Guy Award, which is given annually to the best punter in the nation.

Whitehead, an Australia native, played in his first-ever United States football game against Ohio State in week one and punted nine times for an average of 41 yards per punt. Against Virginia this past weekend, Whitehead pinned the Cavaliers inside the 20-yard line four different times and had a career-long 56-yard punt.

Jake Thomer