Former Kelley Dean Jack Wentworth remembered by IU

campus filler

Jack R. Wentworth, 89, former dean of the Kelley School of Business, died in Indianapolis on Monday. 

Wentworth served as dean of Kelley from March 1984 to June 1993 and worked for the University for 40 years. 

He first joined IU as an assistant professor in 1959, after earning three degrees in business from the University. 

He introduced overseas business programs, hosted a public television station and was active in national business organizations. 

Wentworth stepped down as dean in 1993, but he remained on the faculty until 1997 when he retired. 

Kelley Dean Idalene Kesner said in the Wentworth's obituary that the former dean will be deeply missed by faculty and staff of the Kelley School. 

"Wentworth introduced pivotal changes to the Kelley School," Kesner said. "His gentle demeanor and thoughtful leadership left its mark on the culture of our school, and we will forever be grateful."

Wentworth was preceded in death by his wife of 50 years, Rosemary, who died in 2006, and is survived by their daughter, Barbie Wentworth Morel; son-in-law, Don Morel; a grandson named after him, Jack Morel; and his caregiver, Phil Morel. His son Bill Wentworth and wife Karen of Newark, Ohio, also survive.

He will be buried with his wife at Valhalla Memory Gardens after a private family service.

A memorial service for the former dean will be Oct. 16 on the IU campus.

Katelyn Haas