Indiana Daily Student Logo

Silk Road concert comes to Wilkie-Auditorium Sunday

silk_road_rehersal

By IDS Reports

The Silk Road Ensemble will perform 3 to 5 p.m. July 23, at the Willkie Auditorium, according to a press release from the Ensemble.

The free concert will showcase music and dance from countries along the Silk Road as performed by IU students and faculty. It’s led by founder and director Shahyar Daneshgar from the Department of Central Eurasian Studies.

Countries represented include China and those from the Mediterranean. The concert’s goal is to celebrate the University’s cultural diversity, according to the press release.

Performers include Tomas Lozano from Spain on guitar and vocals, Ezgi Benli from Turkey on saz/ baglama, Jermaine Butler on oud, bass guitar and percussion, Max Sandberg on paino, Arielle Moss on violin, Amy Lidell on violin, Shahnaz Aslinia from Iran on flute, and Jewher Ilham, a choreographer and dancer from Xinjiang Province in China.

The “East-West Musical Dialogue” is sponsored by the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, the Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region, the Islamic Studies Program, the Russian and East European Institute, the IU Summer Languages Program and the East Asian Studies Center.

Bryan Busse

Like what you are reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.