IU Coach Archie Miller lands three recruits

Head Coach Archie Miller talks to the media during media availability Tuesday afternoon.   Miller took over after former head coach Tom Crean was fired.

The wait for the first commitments of the Archie Miller era is over.

Over the course of less than 24 hours, Miller landed three commitments of players ranked in the top-100 by recruiting rankings.

Sunday night, Race Thompson became Miller’s first recruit to commit since he took over in March.

The four-star forward from Minnesota decided to reclassify from the 2018 to the 2017 and will redshirt next season for the Hoosiers. He will take the 13th and final scholarship for the 2017-2018 Hoosiers. Thompson is a big man who was ranked as the No. 71 prospect by Scout.com for the 2018 class before reclassifying.

The first two commitments for the class of 2018 came Tuesday with Jerome Hunter deciding he wanted to become a Hoosier. The Ohio native is the No. 60 ranked player in the class by 247Sports and is a small forward.

“I truly appreciate all the schools that have recruited me, the relationships with coaching staffs and everyone who (has) supported me to this point,” Hunter said in a message posted on his Twitter account. “After long consideration and talks with my family I’ve decided to commit to Indiana University.”

Damezi Anderson was the second commitment for the Hoosiers Tuesday as Miller’s inside-out recruiting approach began to took root. The small forward is Miller’s first recruit from Indiana as Anderson is a senior at James Whitcomb Riley High School in South Bend. He is currently ranked as the No. 82 prospect by Scout.com.

The 2018 class could potentially have five players in it with the Hoosiers slated to have five seniors - Collin Hartman, Rob Johnson, Josh Newkirk, Tim Priller and Freddie McSwain Jr. - graduate following the 2017-2018 season.

With Hunter and Anderson in the fold, IU vaulted up the 247Sports 2018 team recruiting rankings nationally, going from unranked to fourth, one spot behind Notre Dame.