COLUMN: New York Fashion Week presents beginning of year in couture fashion

Arts Filler

Alert everyone you know because the most wonderful time of the year is here. New York Fashion Week kicked off last Thursday and fear of missing out is real, unless of course your name in Anna Wintour.

Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue, seems to have certainly been enjoying her week so far while sitting front row at Calvin Klein.

Rag & Bone, the label that closed Thursday's shows, was one of the top names to kick off the glamorous week.

My favorites – go-to brands Kate Spade and Tory Burch – showcased their collections this week as well.

Burch’s fall 2017 ready-to-wear collection featured an A-list model cast, from the likes of Victoria’s Secret bombshells Taylor Hill, Sara Sampaio and Romee Strijd.

Vogue explains how Burch looked to Katherine Hepburn’s character, Tracy Lord, in "The Philadelphia Story" as inspiration for Burch's latest collection.

Burch grew up in Pennsylvania and shared an Instagram of her childhood home days leading up to the show, “It’s about going back to my roots and doing a take on something familiar,” Burch said to the magazine after the show.

Vogue also highlighted that the necklaces worn in the show were inspired by Burch's own Philadelphia story and are an ode to her father’s cigarette lighter.

Vogue recognizes that on many of the classic white pieces — stiff collared shirt, jumpsuit and structured trench coat — we see a scrolling gold “TB” logo stitched into the garments. This is a more elegant form of branding, apart from the classic double T's we usually see on her purses and famous Reva ballet flats.

Kate Spade has reaffirmed herself as the love of my life with her girly and whimsical new fall 2017 ready-to-wear designs.

The presentation took place on the second floor of the dark and sultry, red Russian tea room. Deborah Lloyd, the chief creative officer for Kate Spade attributed her inspiration to famous flapper Louise Brooks and entertainer Josephine Baker, she told Vogue.

On the third floor, Lloyd showcased her Moroccan-themed spring 2017 collection that she debuted last September. Attendees of this show  had the opportunity to view the newest collections for 2017 in one place, which I think was genius.

Pieces and styles to note from the Kate Spade fall collection were the signature florals, done in Slovak style. The fuzzy cheetah print jacket paired with a dark green leather skirt gave Kate Spade fans their new favorite piece that they did not know they were missing.

The red cape featuring floral embroidery and classic black buttons is one of the most chic and stylish garments that I have seen from Kate Spade in a while — translation: I must have it immediately.

Another collection that has left me in awe was Zac Posen’s fall 2017 ready-to-wear collection, featuring an array of exquisite gowns. The draping that is shown in his designs adds an element of elegance and grace.

As New York Fashion Week comes to a close, we have seen impeccable collections across the board. Designers have stepped up their games and have shown the best of the best.