Bloomington residents share thoughts about IDS

Region Filler

While the Indiana Daily Student is a staple on campus, it is also available throughout Bloomington, from the north side of town to downtown Kirkwood, inside businesses and on sidewalk newsstands.

What does the IDS mean to Bloomington residents?

Alan Craig, 40, said he reads the IDS about twice a week. He said he likes it because it is free, and allows him to stay in touch with what is happening with the University and student body.

“I often pick up my copy at the YMCA after I’ve gone swimming, and I stay abreast of the local issues through the IDS,” Craig said. “It means a lot to me.”

Catherine Brown, 44, said it has been a while since she has read the IDS, but she likes that it is located around town.

“It’s one of those things I’m glad is around, and it’s really accessible,” Brown said. “It’s a matter of me remembering to pick it up, which I don’t always.”

She said she has been impressed with the quality of writing and their outreach to the Bloomington community.

Brown is one of the co-owners of Caveat Emptor, a downtown bookstore. She said she appreciates how IDS reporters reached out to her business when she purchased the store in 2016.

“I think they have a good bridge between town and university,” she said. “Typically, student newspapers are totally university 
centric.”

Bob Rugh, 57, said he reads the IDS once in a while.

“I don’t really look for it to read, but if I’m waiting for carry-out or something, I’ll read it,” he said.

He said the IDS is a good resource for finding out what is happening on 
campus.

He said he finds stories in the IDS about IU basketball that he could not find anywhere else.

David Kuhn, 65, said he doesn’t read the IDS as much as he used to. He lived downtown for 25 years, but now that he lives in the south side of town, the newspaper is less accessible.

“It’s good if you’re interested in what’s going on there, and there’s a lot going on there that can include people other than just the students,” he said. “You can have sports and opera and stuff like that."

Check out these other stories about the IDS's 150th year:

IDS celebrates 150 years of news writing

150 years of headlines

Past editors-in-chief discuss their time at the IDS

Art venues reflect on IDS coverage through the years, offer advice for the future