Offensive post from state senator causes social media frenzy

An Indiana state senator has come under fire for sharing a Facebook post referencing those who participated in this past weekend’s women’s marches as “fat women.”

The post has now been taken down, but it was not soon enough to prevent a social media frenzy calling out Sen. Jack Sandlin, R-Indianapolis, for sharing the Internet meme.

The senator has claimed, according to various media reports, that he doesn’t know how the post got there.

However, the comments are still pouring in on his Facebook page. Angered individuals have taken to venting their frustrations on what is now Sandlin’s most recent post, though it is not related to the incident.

“Major league misogynist. I was one of those walking on Saturday. You’re a pig, just like you’re (sic.) vile disgusting excuse of a leader,” one of the posts read.

“Oh look, another old white man making misogynistic comments about women and our bodies,” said another.

Twitter users had similar criticisms. Verified Twitter accounts, including many major news outlets, published stories on the account, thus ensuring more retweets.

The Indiana Democratic Party released a statement in regards to the incident and said, “We cannot allow this sort of sexism to continue any longer.”

“Now is the time to raise your voice and demand justice,” continued the Jan. 23 release, signed by IDP Director of Compliance and Operations Brittany Solis. “Let’s stand together so that he and EVERY Republican, in this state and nationally, know that we will not take it anymore.”

In the release, Solis urged individuals to bombard Sandlin with calls and emails, to tell him his explanation that he doesn’t know how the post appeared on his Facebook page is not good enough.

The release also pushed people to call the Indiana State Senate’s President Pro Tempore David Long, R-Fort Wayne, and complain about the incident.

“Saturday, we marched. And we joined hundreds of thousands of women, men, and children across the globe who stood united in our hope for a better future,” Solis said in the release. “Our fight isn’t over. It has only just begun.”