Men's soccer player named to U.S. U-20 national team

spiums

IU sophomore midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr was named to the U-20 U.S. Men’s National Team 
training camp roster 
Tuesday.

The Bloomington native was one of 24 players chosen to participate in training in preparation for the 2017 Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football U-20 Championships. This competition will send four CONCACAF nations to the 2017 FIFA U-20 Men’s World Cup in South Korea this May.

Gutjahr played with the U-20 National Team before, most recently in fall 2015. During his freshman season, he played in the Mercedes-Benz Elite Cup in Germany.

During the 2016 season for IU, Gutjahr played in 20 games, made 11 starts and had a goal and an assist.

“It’s a great honor to be selected to compete for the U.S. National Team,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a press release. “Jeremiah has worked hard for this opportunity. He is developing very well and we are excited to see the impact Jeremiah will have on IU soccer and our national team programs in the years ahead.”

The camp will run Jan. 31 to Feb. 10 in Orlando, Florida. After the 11-day training camp is complete, U-20 head coach Tab Ramos will choose a squad of 20 players to compete in the CONCACAF competition in San Jose, Costa Rica, starting Feb. 17.

“Our objective for this camp is to continue our preparation,” Ramos said in a statement released by U.S. soccer. “After having a fitness camp followed by a camp with a combination of fitness and local games, now we are looking to get into game rhythm and select the final roster.”