IU set to be hosts to rival Purdue

spiuwbb

The IU women’s basketball team is in need of a slump-buster.

The past two games have been a struggle for IU, which has lost a pair of road games at Michigan and Northwestern. In both games IU battled but fell behind by double digits and couldn’t muster enough of a comeback. Thursday night’s game is a chance for the Hoosiers to get back on track inside Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

IU will be host to its in-state rival, the Purdue Boilermakers, in the battle for the Barn Burner Trophy at 8 p.m.

“It’s going to be a big game no matter what. Coming off our losses, we need to bounce back,” senior center Jenn Anderson said. “Coming from Indiana, you have two Big Ten schools you can choose from, and I obviously chose to come here. It’s kind of a big deal to show that I made the right choice in coming to Indiana.”

The Hoosiers find themselves at a bit of a crossroads in the season. They sit at 2-3 in the conference while the Boilermakers sit at 3-2. A win could get the Hoosiers back in the race and help their spot in the Big Ten standings. With a loss the season could start to get away from a team that had high expectations coming in. IU was picked to finish third in the Big Ten but is currently tenth.

Junior guard Tyra Buss played 38 minutes for IU in Saturday’s loss to Northwestern, the bench scored just nine points, and IU senior guard Karlee McBride, a starter, failed to score. It seemed like nothing went the Hoosiers’ way. Anderson said the rivalry game is a good way for IU to get some energy back within the team.

“It gives you that extra it’s-an-in-state-rivalry-and-we-want-to-win,” Anderson said. “Going up to Purdue last year we didn’t do our best, and now we want to bounce back. We know if we come together — we’re glad to be back in Assembly, and we somehow always play better when we’re here. We’re ready for a big game tomorrow.”

Defense will likely be a big key for both teams Thursday night. When scoring at least 70 points, the Boilermakers are 6-0 this season. When they hold their opponents to 60 points or fewer, they are 11-1. Purdue features one of the best defenses, which holds opponents to 55.7 points per game, in the country and the best in the Big Ten.

Senior guard Ashley Morrissette leads the Boilermakers in points per game with 14.3 and in assists with 83 in 19 games played. Purdue is also good on the boards. The Boilermakers feature four players who average 4.8 or more rebounds per game. IU has had trouble with post defense in earlier games, and Thursday’s game will be another test.

“They got off to a slow start, but they finally found their groove,” IU Coach Teri Moren said of Purdue. “They aren’t deep, but the seven that they’re playing are really talented, and the thing I’ve been impressed in just watching and prepping for them is their execution.”

Moren is a Purdue graduate and played for the Boilermakers while at school. If she wants to beat her alma mater, her team will need production from everyone, especially the big three of Buss, junior forward Amanda Cahill and senior guard Alexis Gassion, that sees action on the court.

“There is truth to fresh minds and fresh bodies perform at a high level,” Moren said. “Sometimes the game, for us, we have to have one of the big three on the floor at all times.”