crime & courts

Former IU administrator pleads guilty to child porn possession

Jon Riveire

A former administrator in the IU Office of Student Ethics has pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography after a 2015 investigation found images of adults and toddlers engaged in sexual activity on his IU office 
computer.

Jon Riveire was charged with six felonies in 2015 related to the possession of at least 30 pornographic images, according to online records and a 2015 article in the Indiana Daily Student.

He pleaded guilty to only one charge of possession of child pornography, and the presiding judge will decide whether to accept the plea deal in Riveire’s sentencing hearing Jan. 30.

Riveire was fired from IU after the Bloomington Police Department filed charges against him, according to the IDS article. BPD received a tip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that possible child pornography was uploaded to a Gmail account.

BPD then traced the IP address and found Riveire in his office on 801 N. Jordan St., according to the IDS article. He was taken into custody, and police then seized his cell phone and iPad as well.

In his job for the Office of Student Ethics, Riveire heard cases of student misconduct in residence halls, according to the IDS article. He began work for IU in 2007 and with the Office of Student Ethics in 2011.