weekend

Season 42 of 'SNL' will benefit from insane election

After 800-plus episodes and 41 seasons, “Saturday Night Live” continues to be probably the greatest television show to enter network television.

Not only does it probably have the best sketch writing since early 1970s Monty Python, but it also has perhaps the best comedy actors today contributing to the show.

Saturday brings the return of the show and also brings its long-awaited 42nd season.

The kick-off episode will feature actress Margot Robbie as host, and the Weeknd will be the musical guest.

The following week, “Hamilton” star Lin-Manuel Miranda is scheduled to host with musical guest Twenty One Pilots.

How could it get any better?

Answer: Monday’s presidential debate.

Sarcastically referred to by many tweeters as “the greatest ‘SNL’ Cold Open” they ever saw, this anarchic death storm of a “debate” is pure comedy gold.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton’s arguing and aggressive attacks toward one another present a Holy Grail to “SNL” writers, Clinton impersonator Kate McKinnon and newly-named Trump impersonator Alec Baldwin.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Trump was sniffling like a Charles Dickens orphan, Clinton smiled at the camera enough to make an Office cameo and poor Lester Holt was beat down into submission by both 
candidates.

Not to mention both candidates got so caught up in their bickering that most viewers continually forgot what policy was even being discussed.

This is just the first debate, yet we may have found potentially the best material for “SNL” this entire election season.

The subsequent debates should only become more hysterical and therefore produce better episodes.

From a comical standpoint, regardless of which candidate wins the election, we should be supplied with incredible material on the show for the next four to eight years.

Jay Pharoah was a decent President Obama, but let’s be honest, there wasn’t much material to work off of.

All of us Hoosiers are also waiting in anticipation to see who “SNL” picks to play Indiana’s favorite misogynist — I mean, governor — Mike Pence. I would say the same for Tim Kaine, but like the rest of the world, I still don’t know who that is.

Aside from politics, “serious” celebrity news stories like the Brangelina divorce and the feud between Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift are sure to also be addressed in the new season. Also, the absurd number of celebrities will probably be satirized 
as well.

If we’re lucky, the incredible potential for laughs for this season could lead “SNL” alumni like Conan O’Brien, Bob Odenkirk, Seth Myers and Tina Fey to return as guest-writers on certain sketches.

Speaking of guests, there has been much discussion among “SNL” fans about who may be hosts for the new season.

Hillary Clinton is a very strong possibility, especially given her friendship with McKinnon, but numerous people have actually demanded for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian nominee for this presidential election, to be a host.

Given her new album “Joanne” and upcoming Super Bowl 2017 halftime performance, it’s evident Lady Gaga will be a musical guest, but her chances of returning as a host are very possible too.

Laverne Cox could be perfect too after her upcoming performance in “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

If the late 1970s and early 1980s were the golden age of “SNL,” then perhaps Trump and 
Clinton can launch the 42nd season into its silver age.

Austin Faulds

afaulds@indiana.edu

@a_faulds9615