Monroe County Public Library releases new fall children’s programs

With summer coming to an end and school starting back up, the Monroe County Public Library has released its September through 
November fall programming calendar. These programs vary from reading to science and technology subjects.

The library’s mission is explained as having programs for people to read, learn, discover and create.

Lisa Champelli, children’s strategist at Monroe County Public Library, said every fall the library invites all Monroe County first grade classes to visit the library and tour all of the library. The kids are then encouraged to go to the fall event, Party with Stripes the Tiger, where families can bring their children for stories, a treasure hunt and cookies.

“We’re hoping that first graders’ families will help them visit the library again after they’ve been with their classes.” Champelli said. “Party with Stripes the Tiger is a great follow-up for that.”

Ellen Arnholter, community engagement librarian for the Children’s Audience team, said other programs for children range from Tuesday Tales, the library’s weekly story time program, and science, technology, engineering and mathematics programs to open-ended craft programs including Little Makers, an art program for ages 3 to 6. She said while these programs are generally ongoing, each week they implement a different theme to engage the kids in a different way.

Some other programs listed this fall include Arf! Read to a Dog, where children can sit down with a book and read aloud to registered therapy dogs to encourage the regular habit of reading for fun. Another program, Lego Clubs, tests kids with a new construction challenge every month, with legos provided.

She said the programs are not just for educating the kids in new ways, but getting them to look at the library as a place to enjoy, not just learn.

“Kind of the point is sometimes they don’t even realize their education is being furthered.” Arnholter said. “They’re having so much fun they don’t even realize it.”

Registration for all fall programs can be found online under the events tab of the website or via phone.

Champelli said while the library promotes lifelong learning skills in school age children, she also wants kids to feel comfortable in the library as a place to not only learn, but have fun.

“We always want kids to associate the library as a fun place to come.” Champelli said. “We’re always looking to help kids learn that this is their library. This is your 
library.”