Aparna Nancherla to debut album in Bloomington

Aparna Nancherla is bringing her album debut to Bloomington’s Comedy Attic this weekend.

In addition to acting and performing slots on popular shows like “Inside Amy Schumer” and “Conan,” Nancherla is also a successful writer. She has written for shows like “Late Night with Seth Meyers” and “Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell.”

The comedian is releasing her debut stand-up album “Just Putting It Out There” Friday, with premiere performances at the Comedy Attic all weekend.

Not only is she debuting her album in Bloomington, but the album is being released under local record label Secretly Canadian’s new imprint, Bentzen Ball Records.

Founded by longtime Secretly Canadian artist and comedian Tig Notaro, Bentzen Ball Records is featuring Nancherla as the label’s premier release.

“To have booked Aparna a couple years ago, and now have her come full circle by releasing her album with a Bloomington based label, it’s a very exciting time for us,” Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said.

After Notaro, Nancherla will be the second comedian to release an album with Secretly Canadian and debut it at the Comedy Attic.

Aside from being a favorite for local debuts, the Comedy Attic has been deemed a comedic goldmine by 
professionals.

Its reputation has big name comedians flocking to Bloomington to test new material on audiences, Thompson said.

“It’s kind of like an ongoing gag among comedians that if a joke doesn’t work at the Comedy Attic then it’s not going to work anywhere,” Thompson said. “Our audience gets 
everything.”

Nancherla made her fist local appearance at the Limestone Comedy Festival in 2014 and was immediately rebooked to headline at the Comedy Attic. This weekend will be her third time performing in 
Bloomington.

“(Aparna) is personally one of my favorite comedians,” Thompson said. “She’s at the top of the list of comedians that are doing things the way she does them.”

Nancherla describes her humor as falling toward the “dry, observational variety,” but her act “runs rampant with absurdism and 
unregulated whimsy.”

Absurdisms aside, Nancherla has been paving the way for women in comedy over the past few years.

She was named one of Marie Claire’s Funniest Women of 2015, and Time Out’s 10 Funniest Women in New York.

Her unusual experience as a woman of color in the world of comedy can provide an important perspective for audiences, 
Thompson said.

“With everything that’s been happening in the world, it’s more important than ever to hear all sides,” he said.

Nancherla will be performing Friday and Saturday, with shows that will include her unique comedic stylings, fresh from her 
recent release.

“She’s so unique that there’s not a category to put her in, and that’s as close to 100 percent authentic that you can find in art in 2016,” Thompson said.