Jess Walter transferring from the IU women's basketball program

Sophomore guard Jess Walter shoots a three during the game against Illinois on Wednesday at Assembly Hall.

Sophomore guard Jess Walter will be transferring from IU, the 6-foot guard from Midland, Michigan, announced via Twitter on Tuesday evening.

Walter’s announcement comes at the conclusion of the 2015-16 season. She appeared in 32 of 33 games, starting in five after battling back from a preseason concussion. Walter scored just 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game.

“Hoosier Nation,” Walter tweeted. “I have built some life-long bonds and have met some incredible people. I am very proud of the growth of this team and will continue to wish the rest of my teammates the utmost success. However, after much consideration and prayer, I have decided to continue my career elsewhere.”

She has not yet made a decision as to where she will be transferring.

Next season, Walter would have found herself battling for playing time. Lyndsay Leikem is the only graduating player on this 
year’s team.

IU Coach Teri Moren will return first-team All-Big Ten sophomore guard Tyra Buss, junior guard Alexis Gassion and junior guard Tyshee Towner in the backcourt, among others.

The Hoosiers will welcome a pair of freshman guards next season as part of their four-member 2016 recruiting class. Moren signed 5-foot-9 Texas guard Ria Gulley, who projects as either a point guard or 2-guard. IU also added 6-foot-1 wing Bre Wickware, who is able to play Walter’s position on the 
perimeter.

Walter is the first player to transfer from the program this season after four players departed following Moren’s first season in charge of the program.

Guards Larryn Brooks (Texas Tech), Maura Muensterman (Belmont) and Taylor Agler (Ohio) all left, while forward Liz Stratman (Stephen F. Austin) also departed.

IU saw its season end Monday to top-seed Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, 87-70.

The Hoosiers capped off a historic season with their first NCAA win since 2002, defeating Georgia in the first round.

“The entire staff and I want to thank Jess Walter for her hard work and dedication over the last two seasons,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “We accomplished so much this year with her as part of this program, and we wish her nothing but the best going 
forward.”