sports wrestling

Seven IU wrestlers get ready for last home match of careers

Nate Jackson has a 174 lb match with Jacob Morrissey from Purdue last Sunday at University Gym. Jackson who has defeated the top national ranker, Bo Nickal from Penn State, won his match last Sunday.

One last Big Ten bout at home. One last chance to secure a Big Ten win in front of the Hoosier faithful.

Come Friday, seven Hoosier wrestlers will take part in the senior night festivities before they fight for another Big Ten win on the season.

Coming into this season, these seniors had yet to win a Big Ten dual match in their careers, and this year they have been part of a turnaround.

The seniors will look to continue that turnaround by beating nationally ranked-Rutgers on Friday night.

“It’s a total change from freshman year,” redshirt junior Matt Irick said. “All three of my years before this we never won a Big Ten dual. We’ve won three so far, and we’re turning the program around. It’s good to close 
that way.”

From a legacy perspective, he said he hopes the IU faithful will remember one major thing from this class.

The win over Minnesota gave IU its first Big Ten win in 35 prior attempts and its first win over the Gophers 
since 1968.

Knowing this match is senior night gives a different vibe to the seniors in the wake of the match.

Irick said he feels like it was just yesterday when he was struggling to get through practices as a freshman.

Although the younger members of the team have a lot of talent, the seniors still play a vital role in the team’s success.

“We have a lot of youth,” IU Coach Duane Goldman said. “That’s where a lot of our talent in the team lies, but these guys still need to see that leadership from the seniors to keep them in balance, keep them in line.”

Goldman said it’s all about the moments the seniors have had together as a team.

He referred to the Minnesota win as something the seniors will remember for the rest of their lives.

Irick said Friday night will be a different but fun experience. He hopes to get a win to make the experience even more fun for himself and the rest of the team.

“My best friends, now, are members of this team,” he said. “This coaching staff has really taught me a lot about myself, how to push myself, how to go through adversity, and that’ll be nice to take into the work force. The friendships I’ve made will be the most memorable for me.”

The Hoosiers will wrestle Rutgers with hopes of coming away victorious, and also remembering what an influence the seniors have had on the resurgence of a program.

“I hope they realize the impact they’ve had and the importance they’ve had being a part of this team,” 
Goldman said.