FBI confirms link to Spierer case in Martinsville raid

Missing: Lauren Spierer

The Indianapolis office of the FBI confirmed an investigation carried out in Martinsville, Indiana, on Thursday is linked to former IU student Lauren Spierer’s disappearance.

Spierer, 20, was reported missing  June 3, 2011. She was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street on her way back to her apartment in Smallwood Plaza on College Avenue.

The FBI was investigating a previous residence of Justin Wagers, 35. 

The Indianapolis office of the FBI assisted the Bloomington Police Department with the investigation, special agent Wendy Osborne said.

The large, brown house is located on the 2900 block of Old 
Morgantown Road.

Investigators left the property at about 6 p.m. Thursday night. The FBI did not return to search the property again on Friday, Osborne said. 

Osborne did not confirm whether a second FBI search took place in Trafalgar, Indiana. BPD could not comment further on the investigation Friday. 

Old Morgantown Road was dark and fairly empty as of 9 p.m. Thursday, with no neighbors to be seen. A “road closed” sign was posted at the end of the street, but cars occasionally continued to drive through.

Wagers’ attorney Chris Eskew released a statement to the IndyStar on Thursday.

“Mr. Wagers has no knowledge regarding the disappearance of Lauren Spierer or any other missing person,” Eskew said.

Wagers is a registered sex offender. He had previously been booked into the Johnson County Jail, charged with indecent exposure and bond forfeiture, according to the jail.

Wagers’ previous charges include a Class 6 felony charge of performing sexual misconduct in the presence of a minor, including touching or fondling oneself. Both charges occurred on Dec. 15, 2015, and are still 
pending.

In 2005, he also was sentenced to three years for a Class D felony of vicarious sexual gratification with a child, which Indiana defines as knowingly or intentionally directing, aiding inducing or causing a child to touch or fondle himself or herself or another child.

Spierer’s case is active and ongoing, according to a BPD press release.

Read our past coverage on the Spierer case

A timeline of events following Spierer's disappearance June 3, 2011: