IU travels to Maryland as both teams search for first Big Ten win

Coach Kevin Wilson yells from the sideline during the against Michigan on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The Hoosiers lost in double overtime, 41-48.

It can be easy to look at both IU and Maryland and just see their 0-6 Big Ten records. A matchup with the Terrapins doesn’t initially seem as daunting after the Hoosiers lost three consecutive highly contested games against powers like Michigan State, Iowa and Michigan.

With the Hoosiers’ bowl hopes diminishing with each loss, the stakes are high in the next two games. That’s why coaches and players are making sure IU does not sleep on its next opponent.

So when IU looks at Maryland, it sees a team that has similarly played well against tough competition.

“They’re not really a typical 2-8 team,” junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld said. “They’re very talented, especially 
defensively.”

Offensive line Coach Greg Frey has had to prepare his offensive line for back-to-back highly touted run defenses in Iowa and Michigan. The Hoosier run game passed both tests with 227 and 307 yards, respectively.

“Maryland’s defense is awesome,” Frey said. “I’ll tell you right now, watching on film, they’re as good or better than anyone we’ve played.”

The Terrapins faced Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State in the past four weeks. Despite losing all four games, Maryland kept them to an average of 104 rushing yards per game.

The pass defense didn’t allow more than 188 yards through the air in any of the last three games, either.

“They’ve played some good guys and haven’t been able to get over the hump, so expect a challenge,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said.

He said the Terrapins pressure the quarterback well. They have 34 sacks this season, which is second in the Big Ten.

Maryland fired Randy Edsall as its head coach Oct. 11. Edsall had a defensive background, and Wilson speculated some changes might have been made since the firing. The defense has dramatically improved under interim Maryland Coach Mike Locksley, the offensive coordinator.

Sudfeld is familiar with how good Maryland’s defense can be. During last season’s matchup, Sudfeld had statistically the worst game of his career. He completed 14 of 37 passes in the loss and threw an interception to Maryland cornerback William Likely.

He admitted he’s watching for Likely, who is also considered one of the best return men in the country.

“He’s right up there as far as talent and the way he plays,” Sudfeld said. “I’ll 
definitely have to be pretty mindful of where he is.”

As Wilson and his team try to reverse the six-game losing streak in a season that once seemed so promising at 4-0, Maryland is trying to do the same. Wilson said he sees an IU team that is focused and working to get better. He said he doesn’t really have to get on players to work hard.

“There’s good stats and bad stats, but ultimately you’ve got to put it together and get a ‘W,’” he said. “It would be really great to go get one on the road this week.”