COLUMN: IU has potential to flourish with lineup flexibility

IUBB-EasternIllinois

Watching the different combinations of talent in IU’s 88-49 win Friday made me realize how much this team overachieved last season.

We saw traditional two-guard, two-forward and one-center lineups. We saw four guards and a forward. The choices fluctuated throughout, and they all worked.

So when looking back at last season when Hanner Mosquera-Perea was the best big man on the team, I can’t help but think this team’s second-biggest strength this season — behind shooting — might be lineup flexibility.

IU Coach Tom Crean started the game by pairing junior forward Collin Hartman with freshman-phenom center Thomas Bryant instead of the exhibition lineup of senior forward Max Bielfeldt with Bryant.

Personally, I think this is the best lineup for IU. Hartman brings a reliable shooting touch with a built body that can still defend down low.

Crean said the decision to go with Hartman had to do with matching up with Eastern Illinois’ stretch four. He was happy with the lineup and wants to work Hartman back in after missing time due to a rib injury.

Opposing competition aside, lineups with junior forward Troy Williams playing center had success as did lineups pairing Bielfeldt and Hartman down low.

The Hoosiers will appreciate this flexibility as they play the cream of the crop in college basketball as the season goes on.

Maybe the default lineup will be Hartman at the four to keep spacing the floor, but maybe Bielfeldt will get the nod against teams with frontcourt depth such as Purdue. When IU needs to go bigger, they can without losing a ton of offense.

Then, against similarly built shooting teams that bring out smaller lineups, it will not be an issue to move Williams to the four, bring sophomore guard Rob Johnson in and play much like last season’s small-ball lineups.

The biggest difference of all from last year is how small-ball lineups will not be complete defensive liabilities anymore.

It’s hard to quantify just how different the down-low presence is with Bryant instead of Mosquera-Perea. Mosquera-Perea was long and possessed the ability to be a rim protector, but he didn’t play like he wanted to be as five.

He took charges instead of going up for blocks and he didn’t have the body to earn his position down low.

Bryant provides IU with a true center. He dominates for position on rebounds, he can protect the rim when needed and he still provides a quality post game. So IU can go small all around him and still feel confident down low.

Let’s not forget about Johnson either. Johnson is a polished guard who can run the offense, drain 3-pointers and defend well. He would start for a healthy portion of Big Ten teams but now comes off the bench for IU.

IU can mix and match lineups for its backcourt with Johnson and fellow lights-out-shooting senior Nick Zeisloft. It can bring freshman O.G. Anunoby off the bench as an athletic wing who might be raw but can provide physicality and big play ability.

Combine all of this with Bielfeldt and Hartman fighting for the four spot, the possibility of freshman Juwan Morgan earning time there as well and Crean has fun lineups to play with.

You could view this versatile roster as more pressure for Crean. Now, he can attempt to flex his coaching muscles and put together combinations that give the Hoosiers an edge instead of being forced to play the small-ball hand all of last season.

In the end, IU will rarely be in situations where they have no options due to a mismatch.