Former Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house shut down, move out date set

The letters of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house are taken down Thursday afternoon after the chapter was revoked by the fraternity's national office. ATO and select individuals were accused of hazing, endangering a student, possessing and consuming alcohol and lying to University officials.

The former Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house will be shut down, said Kent Miller, president of the Delta Alpha of ATO Inc. board of directors. Delta Alpha of ATO Inc. served as a board of directors and housing corporation for the IU chapter of ATO.

The official move-out date is Friday, Miller said in an email. Some students have already begun moving out.

“It was certainly a struggle for all involved to locate alternative housing,” Miller said in the email. “But with determination and some 
assistance from the IU property 
management and relocation department, the former residents were able to acquire housing elsewhere for the remainder of this semester and into next year.”

It is still unclear what will be done with the empty house.

“There is no open bidding war for unhoused fraternities to take an empty house,” said Louis Rothstein, the vice president of risk management for the Interfraternity Council. “Whoever runs the housing corporation has the final say when it comes to that.”

The housing corporation has the choice to rent the house to a different student organization, Steve Veldkamp, assistant dean of students, said in an email.

The organization that may take the house must be recognized and registered within the University, according to city zoning requirements.

The IU chapter of Alpha Tau Omega disbanded following the release of a sexually explicit video on Twitter.

More coverage

Indiana University chapter of Alpha Tau Omega disbanded following release of sexually explicit video on Twitter.

Last spring, the IDS ran a feature on how ATO’s president was trying to improve the house’s reputation on campus.