opinion oped

EDITORIAL: A different gender gap

A different gender gap

There is a growing gap between girls and boys — and no, we’re not talking about the wage gap.

According to the New York Times, many studies have shown that boys are less likely to graduate from high school and attend college than girls. They are more likely to get in trouble as well, which can limit their 
potential careers.

It is easy to say that “boys will be boys.” However, a recent study seems to point to another cause: “boys are more sensitive than girls to disadvantage.”

Detrimental environments such as growing up in poverty, in a bad neighborhood or without a father are more likely to negatively affect boys. Conversely, the study also found that boys were much more responsive to parental interaction.

This gender gap also affects black, Latino and immigrant children more than their white counterparts. The differences between boys and girls can be observed as early as kindergarten where boys “are already less prepared than their sister,” according to the New York Times.

The Editorial Board believes these effects of disadvantages on boys is terrible and probably stem from a variety of factors. Many low-income families are led by single mothers, which studies have shown to affect boys differently than girls. A lack of positive male role models could help boys conclude that many of the men around them aren’t working or good fathers, affecting their 
motivation to succeed.

Standards of masculinity are a further hindrance to the personal growth of boys in the United States, almost as damaging, we believe, as the objectification of women and social norms for women. From a young age, boys are told to be “tough” and 
swallow their emotions. Many boys suffer to reconcile this image of masculinity with their own feelings, and the Editorial Board feels this often leads to aggressive behaviors and violent outbursts.

According to these studies, a bad start early in a child’s educational career without intervention can lead to further issues including being suspended, performing poorly on standardized tests, dropping out of high school, committing crimes as juveniles and developing behavioral or learning 
disabilities.

Men in our society are often referred to more favorably if they are seen as successful in their careers, as well as when they are financially successful. When a boy’s family isn’t financially stable or well-off, they might feel that hardship more acutely because of these societal pressures.

The Editorial Board 
believes one way to combat this gender gap is to encourage boys, as well as girls, to express their feelings in healthy, positive ways instead of resorting to violence or 
aggression.

Research indicates that early interventions through programs such as high-quality preschool and providing mentors for at-risk boys go a long way to helping boys 
succeed later on in life.

Finally, the data indicates there is a huge reward when parents spend more time with their children of all genders, but especially their sons. This is not always possible, especially for those working full-time or more to make ends meet, but it’s important to make a commitment to try.

Ultimately, reducing income inequality and the gaps that exist between genders, races and socioeconomic classes will benefit some of the most vulnerable, youngest members of our society.