Former student charged with two counts of rape

A former IU student has been charged with two counts of rape in two separate instances.

John Phillip Enochs, 21, was charged with rape as a Level 3 Felony and rape as a Class B Felony, according to a Monroe County Court Case Summary. Enochs was an IU business student at the time of the alleged rapes, University spokesperson Mark Land said in an 
e-mail.

He was a brother of Delta Tau Delta fraternity at the time of both alleged rapes, his lawyer, Katharine Liell, said.

Enochs allegedly raped the victim by force in his first charge of rape, while in the second charge of rape Enochs allegedly assaulted the victim without her knowledge, according to a Monroe County Court document.

On April 11, 2015, one of the victims attended a party at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house. She was drinking prior to the incident, according to a Monroe County Court probable cause affidavit.

After hanging out with friends in the courtyard of the fraternity, she entered the house looking for a bathroom. The next thing she remembered was being in a private room with an unknown man who was trying to have sex with her.

The victim repeatedly tried pushing the man away, saying “no” several times. According to the affidavit, the victim told friends she kept saying “no” and trying to leave, but the man wouldn’t listen.

In a security video reviewed by IU Police Department officer Rebecca Schmuhl, Enochs is identified as leading the victim down a hallway in the first floor of the fraternity house. After trying a door that didn’t open, Enochs led the victim to a different room across the hall. The victim left this room alone 24 minutes later.

The video shows the victim encountering two other fraternity members after leaving the room before entering a first floor bathroom. The IUPD officer said she didn’t see the victim enter a private room with anyone other than Enochs in the video.

Friends of the victim found her in the bathroom and took an Uber back to their dorm, where a friend, concerned for the victim’s safety, called IUPD.

On April 21, the victim identified Enochs in a photo line-up as resembling the man who raped her, according to the probable cause 
affidavit.

Enochs’ alleged other victim reported being raped in her sorority, Delta Zeta, on Oct. 12, 2013.

Enochs was the victim’s date that night for an off-campus dance to be hosted by Delta Zeta and Delta Tau Delta. The victim didn’t consider him a friend prior to the dance, according to the probable cause affidavit.

At about 5:30 p.m., the victim and friends began drinking Fireball whiskey at the Delta Zeta sorority house. The friends went to the Delta Tau Delta house with Enochs, where the victim said Enochs began acting “kind of sketchy,” according to the probable cause 
affidavit.

The group returned to the Delta Zeta house, where Enochs and the victim, along with friends, went to the victim’s room to continue drinking. The victim doesn’t remember anything between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m., according to the probable cause affidavit; however, friends in the sorority’s courtyard witnessed Enochs and the victim having sex through a window.

One friend made eye contact with Enochs, who then immediately closed the blinds of the window, according to her statement in the affidavit. The friend then went to the room to find the door locked. Thinking she may have misinterpreted what she saw, the friend 
returned outside.

The victim awoke in a different outfit from what she had been wearing previously in the evening, according to the affidavit. Around 7 p.m., Enochs sent the victim two texts reading, “I need to find my boxers,” and “This is so uncomfortable.”

Upon awaking, the victim was very confused thinking the dance, for which the buses had already left, had not started yet and told people they were going to miss 
the bus.

The victim later texted Enochs to find out what happened. Enochs said the victim had blacked out, so he returned to the “Delts” house.

The victim reported the rape to IUPD on Oct. 21, 2013. She didn’t originally want to pursue a criminal investigation in the case. It wasn’t until after she learned of the April assault that she agreed to proceed with an investigation. According to the probable cause affidavit, the victim had a “really weird feeling,” that Enochs may have been involved in the other victim’s case.

Enochs turned himself in Friday Sept. 11 according to the case summary. He paid the Monroe Corporate Surety Bond of $20,000

Enochs is scheduled to appear in court in 
November 10.